Thread: veneer issues

mantisory Guest

Default veneer issues

HI there,
    well, i received shipment of my Compact 7s yesterday and man, they sound great right out of the box...however, there is an issue with the veneer - all along the seams (helfway along the depth of both speakers) there are these wavy lines that do not look like part of the cherry wood, but look more like something was dragged along them after the finish was applied or something. IS this natural, or a defect? Should I just talk to my dealer about it?
    regards,
    Byron Peterson

Default Re: veneer issues

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound natural.

Can you immediately take a digital picture or two (in focus, sharp) and email it to the office, attention Andy? Please provide an email address that we can communicate with you regarding this. Please also provide us with serial number, when purchased and new/used and if you have Registered them on the Harbeth web site. Thank you.

An idea picture size would be about 1-2MB. No need to send super-big picture.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

mantisory Guest

will do.. - damn, i just noticed that you are again offering more exotic veneers...I wish my dealer would have told me this as I would much rather have ordered the rosewood veneer...bu he told me that it was cherry only...
    byron

Your pictures received with thanks and being analysed. We'll follow this up with you directly, off group.

You dealer was correct: the 'exotics' are planned but not currently available. And of course, there is an inevitable cost increase for them. We've been negotiating hard to get the supply deal we wanted (and you'd be willing and able to justify) for months - the breakthrough came this week, and we announced it immediately on the HUG. Dealers who don't read the HUG would not have heard the hot news which we'll cover officially in the next Newsletter.

I must say that it's a real pleasure to touch and see rosewood again. Doubly so at a price which we can all live with (I hope).
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by mantisory View Post
    HI there,
    well, i received shipment of my Compact 7s yesterday and man, they sound great right out of the box...however, there is an issue with the veneer - all along the seams (helfway along the depth of both speakers) there are these wavy lines that do not look like part of the cherry wood, but look more like something was dragged along them after the finish was applied or something. IS this natural, or a defect? Should I just talk to my dealer about it?
    regards,
    Byron Peterson
    My SHL5s have the same problem. mine go up the seem across the tops and back down the seem on the other side on both speakers. Look like glue marks (?) or something. I am having a hard time getting it to show up in my pics, but really noticable in person.

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound natural.

Can you immediately take a digital picture or two (in focus, sharp) and email it to the office, attention Andy? Please provide an email address that we can communicate with you regarding this. Please also provide us with serial number, when purchased and new/used and if you have Registered them on the Harbeth web site. Thank you.

An idea picture size would be about 1-2MB. No need to send super-big picture.
    I have also sent pictures to Andy. Thanks.