Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Stands for your Harbeths

Default My "temporary" ikea stands for the c7s

Hope the pictures work....

This is definitely a "very safe" solution. It is close to impossible that my 3 yr old daughter will manage to drop the speakers.

Solid base, black double sided stick.

However, after having "educated" her I am looking for something that will extract more out of the Harbeths.

Might opt for a pair of (out of stock) Standesign 20" closed top stands.

Can anyone give me their opinion on the benefits for the bass region of a closed as opposed to open top stand?

Its all about experimenting eh?

Health and strength...
    Attached Images Attached Images

dc, I think you do have a very nice solution from Ikea (which model?) here.
    I would be surprised if some other stands (600 euro's?) would sound very much BETTER.
    Of course they will sound different, but......better in the end????
    Furthermore it's all depending on the rest of your system ;-)

I've tried some foam (Auralex MoPAD - Monitor Isolation Pads that decouple the speakers) on an Ikea type stand:
    I got more tight and clear basses; palpable imaging and air around instruments; broader soundscape;
    high and mids became more intelligible.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...tion_mopad.asp

Hi,
    I bought my stands by liedtke-metalldesign a german high end stands manufacterer.
    It sounds and looks very nice.
    on the linked page you see a lot of different stands with different speakes not only Harbeth but a lot.
    http://www.liedtke-metalldesign.de/page5.php

lizzzy

CONGRATULATIONS!! These are very nice stands!! Excellent craftsmanship! :D

Quote Originally Posted by durufle View Post
    I wasn't 100% happy with the commercial stands available for the SHL5 and figured having something unique was probably the way to go so I designed a pair of stands and had my friend (and master carpenter) Mitch Despaw build them for me. Took a few weeks (10 coats of oil finish!), but they arrived the other day and I'm extremely happy with the results. If anyone is interested in Mitch's contact info, PM me.

More photos here:

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/3.jpg

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/4.jpg

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/5.jpg

Hello,

I have used all types of different stands with my SHL5's and m30's including Skylan, Sound anchor, Foundation and even the boxes that the m30's came in served as stands, albeit for a very short time. All stands had their positives and negatives, but my favorite were Skylan as they seemed to give the most balanced sound overall. Recently I have decided to build my own open frame stands out of Oak. The costs were low, here's the breakdown Oak $70, Cherry stain $10, Foundation audio spike set(8) $75 (prices in canadian dollars on par with USD). The whole project took about 2 days to complete.

Nice stand you made. what happen on the right side (horizontal white line) of right speaker?
    "Bath in Music"

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    Nice stand you made. what happen on the right side (horizontal white line) of right speaker?
    Thank you for the kind words. That must be the reflection of the camera flash. The speakers are brand new.

Dear Paul Moraw,

Congratulations, they really look so nice... what about the sound? what's the difference between Skylan's?

Thank you kindly.. The sound is really amazing very open and natural the best I've heard from my m30's so far. I think a lot has to do with fact that I built the stands so that the tweeter matches my ear height perfectly when sitting in my listening chair, I got my lovely wife to use a tape measure and a 2 foot level as I sat in my chair to measure the height. As it turned out the stands had to be exactly 26 inches high which is around 2 inches higher that most stands sold for the m30's, I think that made the single biggest difference in quality of sound. The Skylan stands I've used before were also very very good, I found the overall presentaion of the skylan and my Oak stands to be very balanced as opposed to the Foundation open frame stands which highlight the high frequencies but lose in bass definition, or the superheavy Sound anchor stands which are great on bass but thats about it. My only fuss about the Skylan stands was that once filled they can be quite heavy, I seem to always be tinkering with speaker placement and a nice light stand can go a long way to an easier setup. The Skylan Stands truly look and sound great though, and if you get them with the special isolation cubes they get even better. If I was to compare my stands to the Skylans I wouls say its a tossup, sound wise they are similar both open and detailed and most of all well balanced. Cost wise the oak stands are a lot cheaper if you are willing to put in the time. I think the skylans look a bit better but thats subjective. The Skylans might last longer as the materials used in Skylans are not prone to warping over time. The Oak stands are alot lighter on the other hand and allow for easier speaker positioning.

I'm also using the Skylan stands under my M30's and the difference between them and the original (Canadian) Foundation stands was far from subtle. A far more balanced presentation overall with superior bass control and definition. I also have the newer isolation cubes that Skylan is providing, and the difference is subtle, yet again moves the performance ahead overall.

Guizu BWS-7 Stands :D

Wow, what a great looking wooden stand!! Do the three holes drilled out on the top cross brace serve a purpose?

Default Stands made by quadraspire.

Found These speaker stands made by quadraspire. Astonishing looking stands ( IMHO) Wonder if anyone can comment if they are suitable for my P3 esr. Can"t find any more information on them.

Default Stands and bass?

I'm about to order a pair of open frame metal stands for my new pair of M30.1, but first I wan't to know if a stand like that affect the bass?

I don't want the bass to be less firm, rather the other way around. This thread is so big I really can't go through all the posts, sorry, I hope someone wants to help me out. Thanks!

Default A dealer's stand recommendation

The best stands I know of, by a country mile, are the Something Solid XF. A relatively lightweight, open frame formed from welded steel bar. I've used them with many speakers over the years and, for me, give the best results.

Default Custom made ...

Quote Originally Posted by egoBen View Post
    I'm about to order a pair of open frame metal stands for my new pair of M30.1, but first I wan't to know if a stand like that affect the bass?

I don't want the bass to be less firm, rather the other way around. This thread is so big I really can't go through all the posts, sorry, I hope someone wants to help me out. Thanks!
    I find Custom Design 'Fish Tank' stands to be very, very good... They are custom made in exactly the size you wish (exact to the mm). Order them with filling holes and fill up with Inert Filler to get the ring out of them.

IMG_0295.jpg

Default Thanks

Thank you Hifi_Dave and Garmtz. Custom Design Fish Tank stands are exactly what I'm planning to order. It's very good to hear that they are good with Harbeth speakers! Filling holes, I was asked if I wanted that, now I know. Thanks again.

Default Bravo DIY stands!

Decided to make a pair of stands...

Similar to the ones sold by Harbeth Japan but without the top...

Default My new house setup

Haven't posted in a while. . . . so here's my contribution.

Just moved to a new house with an attic as a dedicated listening room, with stands and platforms made of acacia wood, from a local maker.

photo_zps0abc40fd.jpg

photo_zps60785fd3.jpg

photo_zps9a2a92ee.jpg

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast