Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Stands for your Harbeths

ruzhyo Guest

Default Re: Stands for your Harbeths

My hear height (from the ground) at my listening position is 34inches. How high should the stands be for a pair of Super HL5? My ceiling is about 2.8m.

Here's another possibly interesting speaker stand for Harbeths. http://www.partingtonandco.co.uk/du.html
    I wonder what Alan thinks especially regarding being used by BBC engineers. Personally I'm still more interested in the very unusual stands I mentioned here http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=3493#poststop

Guys, as I've said, it beats me how the stand can make any dramatic difference to the sound other than adjusting the position of your ears relative to the tweeter depending upon stand height.

Feel free to select stands for cosmetic or such reasons, but honeslty, truly, please don't chase the dream of vast differences in perceived quality by investing in fancy stands. In my humble opinion you will get a far greater enhancement in your life - and do good for others less well off than yourself - if you drop the money (or even half of it) you would have spent on exotic stands into a charity tin next time you are out shopping. Stands are functional. If there was a clearly superior stand don't you think that I'd have grabbed it years ago and insisted that it be used in all public exhibitions and for Harbeth development and at home myself*? This is what I've said before ....

================================================== ===================
    7. Harbeth speakers do not need exotic stands. You can use wooden stands or metal or plastic stands. We use them all interchangebly through development and critical listening. Distrust rumours that 'Harbeth's only work with ... stands' as there is no rational basis whatever behind them. It is entirely your free choice what takes your fancy, fits in with your furnishings and budget.you chose. If all you have available to get you going is something as basic as the IKEA plant pot stands (mentioned throughout the HUG, even used during the design of the Compact 7ES3 - see picture) or a pile of house bricks or telephone directories - no problem! You will still make beautiful music. The key point is to raise the tweeter to about ear level. The Skylan stands are an excellent value-for-money choice that we have used at exhibitions ourselves. Filling stands or not is your choice.
    ================================================== ====================

Alan

* Yesterday, unrequested, I received in the post 'Penny Shares Investors Monthly'. I made myself a coffe and sat down to read it from cover to cover, having already spent the millions it promised. It was very well produced and talked a good long story about discoveries of vast hidden oil reserves only just now detectable by a new 'x-ray' technique. Then it occurred to me, if the technique was that solid, surely the oil giants have snapped it up and be generating wealth for themselves cutting-out people like me? The answer must be that either the technique is not reliable and/or the reserves it hints at are just not there. Back to stands - if the differences were that great, surely I'd be the very first on the bandwaggon.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Alan , I agree totally with what you say. Correct height and stability should come first after that for me its about cosmetics. Some stands will look better than others in different spaces.This was the main factor in me sharing these two visually unusual designs ( rather than performance based) I tend to like the more invisible thin framed type stands for my room, hence my interest in the ultra minimal cradle like stands made by Harbeth's Croatian distributors. On a cost level the two Euro made stands I mentioned are probably not much more if at all than the Canadian Skylans ( which I own) for the European readers of this forum even with the weak dollar after shipping is taken into account.

redryder Guest

What height speaker stand should I get for P3s? I'm a tall guy, and my ear height is about 38-40 inches off the ground when seated.

I do think tweeter at about ear height is a good guideline for determining stand height. I raised my P3s on the single post 26" Skylan stand by putting the stand on 1 1/2 inch thick square of limestone. Worked well for me, puts the tweeter at about 38". If I hadn't wanted the 26" height for the stand as a compromise for double duty in another room, I would've asked Noel at Skylan to customize his stand with a taller post. Worth asking.

good luck,
    -Paul-

Quote Originally Posted by pranderos View Post
    I do think tweeter at about ear height is a good guideline for determining stand height.
    Yes, Alan feels the same way about the tweeters being at ear level. The Harbeth FAQ also recommends ear level as copasetic. I have experimented with sitting height (see my earlier post) and even though the SHL5 are 3-way speakers, the recommended sitting position would be with the ear level with the main tweeter (not between the main and super tweeter). My listening impressions confirm that this is the right position as well.

Best Regards
    Dennis

Default Re: Skylan stands: light and extremely strong

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Here is a picture I took at THE/CES 2008. Skylan's Noel is standing on one of his stands holding a Monitor 40!
    I Alan,

I plan to buy Harbeth speakers in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

A dealer told me in Canada that Harbeth developped a speaker stand specific for Harberth speakers and they plan to have it in the next few weeks, it is true I never heard about it, if so do you have some pictures.

Thanks

Madelinot

Detail of the stands you are inquiring about may be found at:

http://www.planetofsounddistribution...ion/index.html

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Leman View Post
    Detail of the stands you are inquiring about may be found at:

http://www.planetofsounddistribution...ion/index.html

Don
    Thanks for the information, I think my choice will be Skylan (better looking).

Madelinot

rgshar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    This thread concerns finding the best stand solutions.
    Are Harbeths (specifically the SHL5) listenable if the speaker is placed directly on a carpeted floor? I imagine the sound is compromised, but how so? Thank you.

rgshar Guest

Default Re: Skylan stands

Quote Originally Posted by John Parkyn View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but I've heard a lot of people recommending that Harbeth speakers sit on "Skylan" stands.

What's special about Skylan stands?

What other stands are recognized as being good for Harbeths?

A little tangential here, but here's my question:
    Is the sound affected if the surface of the stand is a bit larger than the bottom of the
    speaker itself? (By 2-3 inches, say.) I would prefer that for a little more stability to prevent the speaker from
    being easily shoved off the stand. I'm refering to SHL5s, but comments on any other
    models are welcome. Would Skylan build one like this if asked? Thanks.

I decided to make my own stands, modelled after the Skylan stands but in solid wood, with cherry veneer to match Harbeth SHL5s. Black Racing Diamond (BDR) cones are installed on base. From what I understand, the platform should not exceed the base of the speakers, otherwise the sound is compromised. I am not sure of the scientific reasoning, perhaps others more knowledgeable might chime in. The wood is locally called nyatoh, scientific name is Sapotaceae.

Best Regards
    Dennis

rgshar Guest

Default Re: Skylan stands

Skylan stands for SHL5s: could someone please tell me what to fill them with?
    Skylan advised PURINA MAXX kitty litter, but I cannot find this in the U.S.
    Thank you.

I used 4 bags of sand from Home Depot. However, the sand is slightly moist so open the bags and spread the sand out to allow it to dry fully before using it.

http://joshinweb.jp/av/883/2098772365555.html

anybody have these speaker stands? hope to own a pair. a perfect match for the SHL5.

Hi Coredump
    I also liked the look of these, found nothing on the web so decided to have something similar made up, solid cherry to match, and very pleased with the result.
    If any other members want the URL of the manufacurer would be glad to help, but I guess Singapore is just a little far from the UK to make it worth shipping !
    Attached Images Attached Images

the look of the stands simply stir up my desire for it. Loved the retro look; goes well with a Leben amplifier too. definitely, it''ll complement my cherry SHL5 well (cosmetically)

1ryal, thanks for the information. I might want to ask carpenter to DIY one similar set too.

Default 'Foundation' stands for your Harbeths

Harbeth Canada have developed a range of steel stands specifically for the Compact 7 (all types), Super HL5, Monitor 30 and Monitor 40 and 40.1. These are fabricated from lightweight metal, supplied in a self-assembly kit. From Harbeth UK's perspective, these lightweight metal stands are the alternative to the Skylan stands (our long term reference stand solution) and provide a complimentary solution. The Foundation stands are backed-up with easy availability from stock.

Sales enquiries should be emailed directly to Foundation stands mailto:info@foundationstands.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

tricka Guest

Hi everyone
    a short note to say how happy I am with Noel's Skylan stands: filled with kitty litter they give a rock solid platform to the C7's and, dare I say it, an enhanced and tightened bass response.
    Highly recommended.
    Kind Regards
    Andrew

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast