Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Stands for your Harbeths

Hi Dennis.
    Many folks when sitting on a regular couch or sofa have their ear level at approx. 28" from the floor, so having the P3R on 27" stands should be very close, this includes the feet fitted.

Noel.

Hello,

Has anyone ever seen and heard these? Love the funeral parlour charm. In a more colorful and modern context like my living room they might work very well, esthetically. They should be easy to clone. IfI can make them rigid and fairly light, they should be able to do the job for a pair of M30's.

http://audio-heritage.jp/HARBETH/speaker/hl5.html

Comments?

Tunes
    Last edited by tunes; 22-03-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: no picture

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone ever seen and heard these? Love the funeral parlour charm. In a more colorful and modern context like my living room they might work very well, esthetically. They should be easy to clone. IfI can make them rigid and fairly light, they should be able to do the job for a pair of M30's.

Comments?

Tunes
    I'm sure these folk could clone them

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewst...id=12&siteid=3

They offer custom builds

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Hello,

I would honestly be afraid that the speaker would topple; but perhaps this is because I have an active dog. The dog, by the way, has so far failed to topple the Skylan stands I have.

Default Custom Design stands

I wanted to share a photo of the stands I have had Custom Design (http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/pr...a608cc42933bb7) make custom for my Monitor 30's. They are in a custom white color, are exactly 24" high (to bring them exactly at ear level on the couch I am using), very rigid and very well damped. I love them!

They also make a stand which looks perfect for a pair op HL-P3: http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/pr...a608cc42933bb7
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by garmtz View Post
    I wanted to share a photo of the stands I have had Custom Design (http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/pr...a608cc42933bb7) make custom for my Monitor 30's. They are in a custom white color, are exactly 24" high (to bring them exactly at ear level on the couch I am using), very rigid and very well damped. I love them!

They also make a stand which looks perfect for a pair op HL-P3: http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/pr...a608cc42933bb7
    Nice looking stands there. The stands for my SHL-5 are similar in outlook except they are lower & black in colour. Love em too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish View Post
    Dagnamit, and I take delivery tomorrow of my new Something Solid XF stands on which I will be placing.......my P3ESRs!
    I know this is late, but I have had a negative experience with the Something Solid XF stands. The quality of finish was unacceptably bad (the worst I have ever seen on any audio related component). I returned them. The dealer handled things professionally, but I would not recommend Something Solid to anyone. But that's my 2 eurocents - hopefully you have better luck. Have you received your stands yet?

I now have the Music Tools ToolOne stands for my P3ESR's and they are fantastic (not open frame but work well).

Br,
    Teme

OK, my two pennies worth - I've been selling Something Solid stands since the early 80's and, as you may imagine, have many very satisfied customers. In all these years I have never had any negative comments on the finish, just delight at the sound.

Somthing Solid are still the stands I have found to give the very best results with Harbeth speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by garmtz View Post

This stand is very similar to what I am using now. The stand is actually very simple do make in low cost. Hollow metal tube will do.
    "Bath in Music"
    Harbeth owner since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In all these years I have never had any negative comments on the finish, just delight at the sound.
    Perhaps I was just unlucky. Attached is a picture of the SS XF stands that I received. They were of slightly different heights, did not stand level and nothing in the stands even lined up (as can be seen from the picture to some extent) The construction really was poor (and cheap) IMVHO - just poorly welded steel and a bit of spray paint (that was already bubbling and chipping away) from a can as far as I could see.

Br,
    Teme

Well, that's a strange one. Whilst I wouldn't pretend that they are finished as well as some of the large production stands where finish takes precedence over sound, the Something Solid stands are nicely presented. I have no idea what that is in your photo but the construction and finish is nowhere near as good as the ones I have seen, used and sold over many years. The layout of the rods, the quality of welding and finish is rather inferior. The SS stands are hard baked enamel and not spray paint. That pic looks suspiciously like a home made copy. What a shame.

Default Stands

I take Alan seriously when he says that you could play Harbeths on a pile of telephone directories if you like. I've tried a bunch of things from granite to sand-filled steel. At the moment I am most happy with Ikea Oddvar bathroom stools. Cost? $13. They're wood, open-frame and sturdy. Try them. If you don't like them you can put them in the bathroom and look for something more esoteric.

David

honmanm Guest

Also on the budget front, I'm using Rega Kyta stands (strategy: buy Kytes with stands on ebay, keep stands and re-sell speakers). These stands seem to work well with top plates removed... with top plates on there is a slight metallic "aftertaste" in the upper midrange which had me worried until it was traced back to the stands. I've not compared with other stands and while I'm sure there are better stands out there, right now there is nothing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I have no idea what that is in your photo but the construction and finish is nowhere near as good as the ones I have seen, used and sold over many years. The layout of the rods, the quality of welding and finish is rather inferior. The SS stands are hard baked enamel and not spray paint. That pic looks suspiciously like a home made copy. What a shame.
    I bought these from a UK retailer and they were sold to me as genuine SS stands. When I saw them I thought there were poor copies as well. If that is indeed the case, it would be nice if someone with genuine SS stands could post some pics of their stands, also closeups.

Br,
    Teme

I'm waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me about these stands. I reckon they were a knocked together prototype because, as I say, every pair I have seen are far better made and finished. Also, as they are made in a jig, every pair has the same dimensions.

I'm afraid the technology to post pics is beyond me but I do know that several HUG members are using Something Solid.

These are my selfmade stands: http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1941/immagine290.jpg
    made by tubolar iron and painted shiny silver.The speakers are supported on four aluminum cones,even these DIY.

groovybass Guest

I recently picked up a pair of Compact 7ES-3's on Audiogon. This is my first Harbeth experience, so I didn't have the right stands. Amazingly, I had them on folding chairs and they sounded great. Since I'm less interested in spending huge sums of money on stands these days, I picked up a pair of Ikea Bosse stools - $25USD each. They're 18" tall, which lined up the tweeter perfectly and they sounded like crap. I couldn't believe it - they weren't the same speakers that sounded so wonderful on the folding chairs. After a few confused moments, I grabbed one of the legs of the stools while music was playing and a significant amount of vibration was being transmitted to the stands. I decided to try something to decouple the speakers from the stands - I ended up using 3 layers of soft foam used to line kitchen cupboards and the sound is transformed! Before the foam, they sounded shouty, confused, lacking bass, awful - after the foam, they sing and everything is balanced. I'm shocked and amazed, but the moral of the story for me is to decouple, decouple, decouple - in my mind this is much more important than the choice of stand. Enjoy!

Default Stands - an approved Harbeth/Skylan solution perhaps?

Interesting. When I said telephone directories I was hinting that the losses (another word for damping) amongst all those sheets would be beneficial. As you say from your own experiments.

Many of us here use Skylan stands, hand made in Canada by a one-man business. Noel Nolan is one of those truly decent people that one cannot spend enough time with - but, as he'd admitted to me after I've loosened him up a bit with a few drinks, hand making the Sylan stands, painting them, packing them one by one and arranging shipping whilst answering the phone, emails and faxes is far, far too much for one man. That's why we receive occasional emails asking us to hurry him up - but if we call him on your behalf it actually slows him down! A tricky problem.

A suggestion - trapped here in Hong Kong with time on my hands I wonder if I should make some enquiries with Noel whether he would allow me to act as his agent and try and find a local source who could make a Harbeth/Skylan approved stand, with our joint blessing, to relieve him of at least some of the immense seven-day-a-week burden. Providing that such a stand was indeed made properly, properly QCd and packed, on a sensibly short leadtime, approved by Noel and myself, would it be of interest?

Just a thought.

Alan /Hong Kong
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Sorry you are stuck in Hong Kong, Alan. Hope your not sleeping on an airport floor.

I am interested in a pair of small Harbeths for a flat we have just bought in Southampton, but now I have retired from the Army we will be spending most of the time in a bungalow in Cyprus. My wife inherited it and it needs a lot of work. I shipped here my MB Quart floorstanders which I drive with a refurbished Quad 405-2. When I bought said speakers over 20 years ago I asked about spikes (all the rage in UK then and now). The shop said "Don't bother." When I asked about uneven floors I was told to cut up a tennis ball and use it for padding!

Now, for the first time these Quarts are sitting on an uncarpetted wooden floor - I might have to try that. It is amazing, hower, how much bass reaches my feet through the floor. Never had that experience before!

Or I could try a telephone directory - Nicosia Yellow Pages - that would protect the varnish when the floor is mopped, but the paper would get soggy!

What do you think Alan?

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post

A suggestion - trapped here in Hong Kong with time on my hands I wonder if I should make some enquiries with Noel whether he would allow me to act as his agent and try and find a local source who could make a Harbeth/Skylan approved stand, with our joint blessing, to relieve him of at least some of the immense seven-day-a-week burden. Providing that such a stand was indeed made properly, properly QCd and packed, on a sensibly short leadtime, approved by Noel and myself, would it be of interest?

Alan /Hong Kong
    Definitely of interest - it makes very good sense. Maybe if the "standard' models could be produced by a contractor, it would free Nolan up to manage the business and perhaps do custom orders only.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast