Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Stands for your Harbeths

Default Call Noel at Skylan

Call Noel at Skylan. He's a nice to talk to and would happily give you any information that you need.

Default Use Kitty Litter

I just received my Skylan 4P20's for C7's and Noel states in the instructions to fill with kitty litter or rice. In e-mail correspondence after I placed my order, he specifically told me to use kitty litter. I've yet to go out and buy the litter but I would imagine it's quite a bit lighter than sand.

Default Damping more relevant than mass

It is lighter than sand but mass in a speaker stand isn't necessarily a good thing but damping is.

Default Skylan post size.

On my M30 stands each pillar is just under 3.5" across (and deep) gap between pillars is just under 3".

Default What is the least resonant / heaviest wood for stands?

Anyone please knows what is the least resonant, heaviest wood to build a pair of open frame stands? Oak, Ash, Maple, other...? I tend to think about oak because I don't know of any instruments made from it, and that leads me to believe it must be pretty dead acoustically.

This weekend I made a pair of open frame stands out of cheap, light pine (see picture). The idea was to build them fast as a prototype and then later, if the results were satisfactory, have them built by a professional carpenter.

The first tests were made with small pucks (made of rubber/carbon I believe) between the speaker and the stand, and nothing between the stand and the hardfloor (marble). The results were not very promising. Then I decided to add some big rubber feet between the stands and the floor and this improved things a lot bringing the speakers to life. When I touch the stands they really vibrate, I can feel vibrations running down the pine wood even at low volumes, and the stand is so flimsy that I'm sure it rocks in time with the bass driver, but the rubber feet seem to dissipate the vibrations and focus everything.

I don't know if this approach (light open frame decoupled from hardfloor with isolation device) is better than a spiked, heavy mass loaded stand such as the Skylan since I have not tried them with the M30, but the results are tempting me to go the extra mile and have them built once I set on which wood is the best for the task.

To P.C.: Thank you again for the information on Skylan dimensions. I really appreciate your support!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wasn't 100% happy with the commercial stands available for the SHL5 and figured having something unique was probably the way to go so I designed a pair of stands and had my friend (and master carpenter) Mitch Despaw build them for me. Took a few weeks (10 coats of oil finish!), but they arrived the other day and I'm extremely happy with the results. If anyone is interested in Mitch's contact info, PM me.

More photos here:

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/3.jpg

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/4.jpg

http://www.totomedia.com/pics/shl5/5.jpg

Default Monitor 30: The higher the better?

After almost a year with the Monitor 30 I have recently decided to take another approach at stands and raised them even higher than usual. With my home made light pine open frame stands and an arrangement of books to make them taller, the M30's base is now 70cm high (27.5"). This is higher than any commercial stands made purposely for the M30 which are usually 10cm lower (24"). The speakers are also wider apart and closer to the side walls but this does not degrade image at all. No spikes, no isolation, no decoupling, nothing fancy, just a light open frame tall stand that vibrates with the speaker. Well, the speakers rest on the books and these on the stand, maybe the books act as dampers? It is, by far, the biggest improvement I've heard with the M30s. This makes me wonder how much some of us spend on cables, tweaks and system upgrades when so much can be gained at no cost, or very little. It's not only treble that is better, everything seems in place, soundstage, image, dynamics, bass. There is less bass (boomy) but it is not missed as I expected, since it's not bloated it can be followed easily and drives the music forward, now I am tapping again as I listen. My stands were not low, they were actually 60cm (24") which is what is usually suggested, but the additional height really improves things.
    The only problem is that with stands so high the monitors occupy even as much or more space than a full range floorstander, which kind of defeats the reason I moved from floorstanders to monitors.

[QUOTE=123teemu;8485]Perhaps I was just unlucky. Attached is a picture of the SS XF stands that I received. They were of slightly different heights, did not stand level and nothing in the stands even lined up (as can be seen from the picture to some extent) The construction really was poor (and cheap) IMVHO - just poorly welded steel and a bit of spray paint (that was already bubbling and chipping away) from a can as far as I could see.

Br,
    Teme

Hola Gentlemen .

I am wondering whether this particular matter was ever resolved ? I was considering the Something Solid stands as one possible option for my M30's , however given Teme's experience I am re-considering those options .

All the best.

H.

I've been selling Something Solid stands for 25 years and never had any complaints concerning construction, finish and certainly not the performance.

Thank you for your response Sir , I was rather hoping for a little further information regarding the specific situation as commented upon by member Teme, I really wasn't soliciting for a somewhat Cut n Paste product commercial .

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Thank you for your response Sir , I was rather hoping for a little further information regarding the specific situation as commented upon by member Teme, I really wasn't soliciting for a somewhat Cut n Paste product commercial .
    I can only comment on what I have experienced personally. I am sure hifi_dave has seen way more pairs of the Something Solid stands than me and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt or question his comments. To the contrary.

So, just to be clear, I've seen only the one pair that I received myself and subsequently commented on as accurately as I could, including posting the pics of those stands. I was very unhappy with them and think that as products they were totally unacceptable by any standard. Having said this, I do not know for a fact if mine were real "Something Solid" stands or poor quality knock-off's of them. That is unknown to me to this date, but I sure hope they were knock-offs. I did get my money back and bought something else that I am happy with.

Please drop me a private message if you have any questions orvwant further details.

Br,
    Teme

Thank you for the clarification of this particular situation Teme , pleased to hear that matters worked out well for you in the end .

Regards.

H.

I have to confess to being rather foolish in that I allowed someone to persuade me that they were able to supply a stand for my SHL5s which was an improvement on Skylans. Below are the before and after pictures.I appreciate the advice from Harbeth has been that, in general, there should be no significant difference to the performance of their speakers whatever support is used. I understand why they would say that, and why they would not wish to point customers of their products to any specific stand or electronics for that matter. All I can do is explain my circumstances and the solution which works best for me.

I have a small room 3 metres by 5 metres by 2.75 metres with a solid wood floor over a suspended wood floor with a large ,cold garage-shaped void beneath. There are rugs between the speakers and my listening position, a window with drapes behind, a well stuffed 2 metre sofa for listening and open record shelves and record cupboards. It is not overly damped but then neither is it too bright.Whatever I did, I could not tame a bass boom. The first stands I had were heavy metal - 12 kgs plus filling- and put the tweeter a little below my ear level - I am vertically challenged, not enough to get a job in pantomime, but towards that end of the scale.

Belatedly it occurred to me that the problem was the stands and their height. When you look at the photographs you will say of course it was you idiot.
    So I ordered some Skylans which were delivered in an incredibly short time - two and a half days from Canada to London. I have only lived with the Skylans for three days and can report the following:

1. My bass boom has been tamed, I have agile and tuneful bass in proportion to the amount on the recording rather than the addition of 15 sq M of sounding board floor and space beneath.
    2. I am getting the same level of sound at a lower volume setting. I don't know if the elimination of the smearing introduced by the bass boom produces this,perhaps someone here better qualified can comment.
    3. My stereo image has improved.Previously there were recordings which were definitely coming from left or right speakers, now they are better integrated into a stereo image between and behind the speakers.I suspect that because I am listening in a nearer field than is ideal they will never completely 'disappear', but we are getting there.
    4. Separation of instruments and, for example the definition and decay of the notes on a piano keyboard, has improved.
    5. I can position the speakers closer to the side walls - 25 cms - than I had thought possible.Useful in a small room like mine and many in the UK.

This is with the Skylans unfilled, sometime next week I am expecting a delivery of HDPE pellets to add weight (but hopefully not bloat) to the legs. From my perspective, there is a definite benefit in using a stand which has been designed for the Harbeth, rather than one which can be adapted to any speaker by changing the height and top-plate.

See what I mean - Sidney

The taller stands also make the SHL5's look much more 'noble' and upstanding!

Sidney,
    What ever you do, don't fill the legs completely. Do it bit by bit and judge the results. Often, similar stands sound fat and bloated with the legs filled. Start with 1/4 fill, which might be all you need and go from there.

Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke to Noel at Skylan (an astonishingly enthusiastic audio man) who thinks 85% fill maximum, but I'm sure that will vary according to the environment. Like most people I can hear big changes in sound and, with experience, recognise that I will prefer one thing or the other. I am less sure when small incremental changes are made, I can probably retain one or two variations and compare them, after that it becomes a blur.But your advice still applies, apart from anything it is easier to fill by small amounts than to take it out.

Dear hifi_dave,

What's the difference in sound between Something Solid stands and Skylan stands?
    I like full bodied sound. Which one should I buy for M40.1?

...similar stands sound fat and bloated with the legs filled...
    Does "fat and bloated" means I'll hear the piano really big enough and 6m long?

Skylan seems giving a chance to control the sound by filling. Tensioning the SS stands looks like filling the Skylan's?

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?62-Stands-for-your-Harbeths&p=15887#post15887

Dear all,

New to the forum. My regards to everybody-

Have spent many years with different equipment configuration. Only just recently have become the proud owner of a pair of the new c7´s. Pairing them with a Naim 5i in a small, rectangular room setting (app 4m*3m) filled with furniture, books, records…

According to Harbeth, the c7´s are “…far less critical of stand height than many speakers of this size…”

Currently using a pair of 40cm high Ikea stands, with open bottom surface. Main reason behind being that they provide a very solid bass, and are rigidly attached to the stand… I have a small daughter with the risk of the speakers going to the floor! However, can´t help the feeling that I should invest in some decent stands to get more out of my system.

Being the melomaniac that I am, home sounds are constantly filled by a variety of genres, ranging from 60´s rock to jazz and blues, from funk to folk, from electronic to dubstep… that is to say, open to pretty much everything that does not include crappy, non-quality commercial music. I say so because, based on this, I would like advice on stands. Mind you I do like to extract the maximum of the system´s ability to deliver bass (clean and clear, not to say boomy,) which is not the forte of the naim-harbeth combination.

To summarise, bearing in mind I cannot test at home, and budget is around 200 gbp should I choose between:

Open stands like the Something Solid XF(http://www.hificorner.co.uk/somethin...ker-stand.html) or epos st12i (http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products/st12i/)

Or rather

Closed stands like the Atacama sl500 with Atabytes (in this case the flexibility of testing with different levels of atabytes might be of use? (http://store.atacama-audio.co.uk/pro...7.0.0.0?pp=12&) or the standesign (no web, but have spotted a pair. Look very solid)

And to complicate it a little more, the option that would provide the safet solution? (children in mind…)

Great forum and Thank you!

Hi dc8300, I do use Ikea Oddvar wooden benches (33x33x45 cm) with my C7's.
    It's sounding very good in combination with the LFD Zero LE3.1
    Read a lot about other stands, but I donot feel the urge to change to one of those.

I am interested in > which Ikea 40cm high, open bottom stands you are using ATM?

Cyreg,

I will try to upload a couple of pictures tomorrow...

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast