Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Stands for your Harbeths

Default Re: Stands for SHL-5s? Mission accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by NikPer View Post
    This is the 18" 4-post stand, especially made for the Harbeth SHL-5. Simply great stands, I am very happy with my choice and a big improvement over the metal ones i've had on loan for the past year. Plus Nolan is a great guy to do business with.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Beautiful speaker stand and nice set-up!

I had emailed to Mr Nolan a couple of times, till now he had not replied. I hope to get the stand for my new SHL5 which is due to come this Mar/April.
    I know he may be busy but hope he could reply to my emails....still waiting .

Sent Noel an email as well but he sounds like a very, very busy man! I have not received a reply to my email sent last week. I contacted my local carpenter and he can custom make the stand based on the Skylan design but in solid wood instead!! And, black diamond racing cones below each of the four pillars! With solid wood, you don't need to worry about filling the pillars with sand. And, the wood can be veneered in cherry wood! )

Quote Originally Posted by denjo View Post
    Sent Noel an email as well but he sounds like a very, very busy man! I have not received a reply to my email sent last week. I contacted my local carpenter and he can custom make the stand based on the Skylan design but in solid wood instead!! And, black diamond racing cones below each of the four pillars! With solid wood, you don't need to worry about filling the pillars with sand. And, the wood can be veneered in cherry wood! )
    Hi Denjo,

I would like a pair made too. Pls give further info, can email me.

Rgds

NikPer Guest

I filled the pilars with kitty-litter today, it took about 2 kilos for each pillar so 16 kg in total.

Default Skylan stands: light and extremely strong

Here is a picture I took at THE/CES 2008. Skylan's Noel is standing on one of his stands holding a Monitor 40!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Re: Stand height and stand construction

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOS MAMASSOULAS View Post
    Six months ago I bought Compact 7ES-3. The set up was Musical Fidelity A3.5 amp(125 w/ch), Musical Fidelity A.5 cdp with Atacama stands 16 inches filled with sand. My room is about 40sqrm. The sound was fantastic and harbeth performed better than any other speaker ever tried in my room (some of them costed more than twice harbeth's price). Recently I have upgrated to Musical Fidelity A1008 amp (250W, external power supply, tube pre amp stage) and the sound in terms of clarity, smoothness, detail and soundstage was dramaticaly improved.
    But the more bodier sound of the new amplifier caused me a problem. The extra bass seems not to be tight and lucks control. Having adequate distance from side and rear walls I suspect that the main source of problem is the small hight of stands (16 inches).
    Do you think a taller and better quality stand (eg. SKYLAN 20 inch) will solve the above mentioned problem?
    I will appreciate everyone's feedback and espesially yours Alan.

Best regards from Greece.
    A late reply to an old post, but reading it again I picked up on something...

You had a great sound with the original system, but "upgrading" the amp caused the bass region to be worse, so all of a sudden the stands are at fault? A tube pre amp stage may well have been used to add some "warmth colouration"

You may well have sorted this out by now, but this is where a sympathetic dealer and a home demo of equipment can be a real help, as a different amp may have improved clarity without messing up the bass region...

Default Re: Stands for your Harbeths

Have anyone tried these stand? Attached pictures of stand for super HL5.

Size: W314?D324?H450

I'm thinking of getting the second stand. Comments greatly appreciated

1) 2)

they look like a torture device. sorry, had to say it. but then again, Im a Skylan fan...

Can't get Skylan stand in Singapore. It cost about USD$600 to ship. : (

Quote Originally Posted by Jmohd View Post
    Can't get Skylan stand in Singapore. It cost about USD$600 to ship. : (
    Why don't you build your own. You may have seen my earlier post from last year ...
    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=1814#post1814
    They work perfect with my M40s. It's fun to build them. You can adjust the stand height
    to perfectly fit your needs (Tweeter in ear height when you sit in your sofa). You can also paint
    them. That gives you some more hours of relaxation.

And if you like the idea of torture they are probably even better than the other ones. Think of that you sit on the stands and unfortunallely sink down .... :-)

Now that is one of the best ideas we've ever had here. Build It Yourself. Just like the days of our youth when we had no money and we had to make our hi-fi equipment ourselves.

Congratulations on a truly excellent idea - I'd very much like to encourage our members to have a go. Hi-fi DIY is fun, relaxing and rewarding.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Now that is one of the best ideas we've ever had here. Build It Yourself. Just like the days of our youth when we had no money and we had to make our hi-fi equipment ourselves.

Congratulations on a truly excellent idea - I'd very much like to encourage our members to have a go. Hi-fi DIY is fun, relaxing and rewarding.

Hi,
    As I have posted in the past, I shortly describe again my DIY stands, from the first day I got my SHL5s:

Solid wood (MDF covered with black ash veneer)) platforms 30 X 30 cm on top & bottom,connected with 4 rectangular columns at 4 corners, height 36cm. Top platform with small height lifted edges to support (keep in place on corner edges) isolating ART AUDIO graphite cubes. SHL5s sit on them with 3 very small silicone self attaching tips on each cube to prevent sliding from them. Instead of spikes, 4 superspikes (Scandinavian made special spike systems with flat feet bottoms - very good stability, no holes no scratches on floor) that are screwed at four corners underneath the bottom platform/columns. You cannot feel even the slightest vibration on the stand when playing even loud. Speakers are like floating in the air. Total cost (materials, carpenter, accessories) waw about 320 euros for both. Total stands' height (speaker bottom from floor level) is 42cm and brings tweeter height at about ear level. Hope Alan and friends find it nice, after all I feel a very little proud and very much happy I designed them and they really work!

Cheers to everybody,
    Thanos from Athens

HI Thanos,

Pls post some pictures of your speaker stand or your set-up.

rgds,

Quote Originally Posted by Jmohd View Post
    HI Thanos,

Pls post some pictures of your speaker stand or your set-up.

rgds,
    Hi,
    I want to, but somebody help with instructions of how do we attach pictures to the message for the user group. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    Hi,
    I want to, but somebody help with instructions of how do we attach pictures to the message for the user group. Thanks!
    First you must log-in! Very important! Second, find your message that you want to attach photos to, or create a Reply to an existing message. Go to Manage Attachments and point to your JPEG or JPG images. They must not be too big - under about 50k is good.

Can you follow this explanation or would you like me to make a step by step screen-cam where you can follow me doing it step by step in a downloadable video?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    First you must log-in! Very important! Second, find your message that you want to attach photos to, or create a Reply to an existing message. Go to Manage Attachments and point to your JPEG or JPG images. They must not be too big - under about 50k is good.

Can you follow this explanation or would you like me to make a step by step screen-cam where you can follow me doing it step by step in a downloadable video?
    Ok, I'll proceed so,
    Thank You Alan

Please remember, the image must be 600 pixels maximum in height or width or you can not upload it and it will be rejected. So -

a) image must be smaller than 50kB and also
    b) must be smaller than 600 pixels in height or width
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Vanmar Guest

Default Stands for your Harbeths - Shape and height

Good morning,
    In the last days I had the chance to test several kind of stands for my new SHL5, with different heights (many thanks to my Harbeth Retailer's patience and kindness).
    In reason of this I would like to share with the other Members of thr forum, that, in my room - full of wood, carpets and books, (4,2x6x2,7m) the best results are reached using open bottom stands.
    Mounting the Harbeths on a plate surface, even spiked, doesn't offer as good presentation.
    Another significant improvement I could notice when liftin the speaker from a ca. 45 cm to a ca. 50 cm stand. It was hardly belivable how just 5 cm of difference in height can improve the whole sound and detail is really impressive, for sure the best I've ever heard.

I've recently discovered a very interesting range of speaker stands made especially ( i think) for Harbeths . There's very little info on them but I for one think they look great and takes the lightweight open frame philosophy to its max. Has anyone ever tried them ? I traced the maker/supplier to the Harbeth Croatian dealer: Pear Audio Europe d.o.o in Slovenija. There's only a couple of pics available on the whole web ( discovered by chance!) but the best I think is found via this link:
    http://www.audiofil.net/hifi_item.asp?NewsID=235
    just scroll down to the last set of three photos and double click on the last pic to open it up full size. Unfortunately when I e-mailed Pear Audio a while back the price for a set to fit my Monitor 30s sent here to the USA would have cost me around the $500 mark. I expect it would be a much better deal for those in Europe. He did explain they where made of a combination of various materials for a transparent a sound as possible. What do you all think does anyone else like them enough to try them and give us a report?

Just wanted to add that the stands mentioned in my previous post are not the same as ( but where inspired by) the similar looking but no longer available 'domos' range made by 'Reson' in Switzerland for the defunct Rehdeko loudspeakers from the early 90s.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast