To keep up with the latest thinking and to be assured that the measurement techniques I use are compatible with industry best-practice (and to meet others doing speaker design/measurements) I am attending a two day course in New York next month. Just one part of the course is this:

================================================== ==================

In our upcoming October seminar, the topic of Simulated Free Field Measurements is addressed. Alternative techniques, trade-offs and limitations, and methods for combining these techniques are demonstrated. Some additional details can be found in the attachment.

Loudspeaker Performance: Measurements, Analysis & Diagnostics

This two-day course focuses on loudspeaker testing. The fundamentals of acoustics and electro-acoustic measurements are presented, including instrumentation, data interpretation and information on how to perform appropriate tests. Advanced techniques for diagnosing problems in design and QC are shown. Practical demonstrations are provided throughout the course. This course is intended for technical persons who are responsible for the electro-acoustical performance of drivers and loudspeaker systems in R&D, Q.C/Q.A. or in production. The level and content are appropriate for both, novices and persons with test and measurement experience. This training will enable you to perform accurate loudspeaker measurements and provide you with the necessary tools to understand and correctly interpret the results.

Dates:
13-14 October 2009
The classroom opens at 8:00 am. The class begins promptly at 8:30 am and runs until 5:00 pm with a one-hour break for lunch at 12:00 noon.

226 West 52ndStreet (at Broadway)
New York, NY 10019

================================================== =============

I think that if nothing else, discussing the correlation between anechoic (free-field) measurements and in-room measurements, and contributing my own experiences over the years will be time well invested. That should put us in a strong position to discuss how to get the very best sound in your room.