Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cables for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

Default Cables for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

This thread concerns finding cable solutions.

John Parkyn Guest

Default The Great Cable / Interconnect Debate

I hear that some people claim that expensive cables and interconnects make a huge difference to the resulting sound. Some of these people pay dozens, even hundreds of pounds (pick your currency) per metre to squeeze better sound out of their system.

Could they be wasting their money? After all, many claim that basic econo cable/interconnects or a step or two up is good enough.

What's the story? Does more money make a difference?

What cables and interconects do you use / recommend?
    Last edited by John Parkyn; 08-02-2006 at 05:36 AM.

sevodude Guest

I feel that interconnects definitely do make a difference. I can't explain it but the difference between very good and ordinary cables can be night and day. In fact, so does power cables, power supply etc.
    The rest of the system must be up to scratch though... if its revealing enough, then you can really hear alot of difference as the cables then become the limiting factor.
    I was using an old integrated amp and I thought that certain cables sounded bright, some muffled etc, but once I upgraded the amp and pre etc, then I really could tell what the differences were, and what was previous ok now sounded congested etc etc because the quality of all the other components "revealed " the differences. In this respect, Harbeth speakers goes a long way in being revealing, being able to keep up with ya upgrades. And the differences can sometimes be almost greater than single component change.
    Its convenient and economical to deny the differences, but they exist. But how much you need to pay for that difference is another question. Alot of cables, esp famous ones, are way way overpriced with tremendous profit margins.
    Last edited by sevodude; 08-02-2006 at 08:46 AM.

I finally followed AS’s suggestion to get some ‘humble’ 79 strands speaker cable, it is the cable every Harbeth owner should try! After installing the cable, everything suddenly sounds so right and nature. I have tried many cables (different size of solid-core and strands design) throughout the last two years for my M40, they all make substantial difference, just none of them convinced me I am hearing Harbeth house sound.

The reason I didn’t use 79 strands because there are too many fancy cables and too little humble cable this day. 79 strands is a magic number, there are many simple cables specifying 2mm or 4mm with several hundred strand counts, but there is no mentioning 79 strands. After doing some research in the net, I found that 79 strands is UK standard for 79/0.2mm to make up a 2.5mm cable. I limited the search to UK made cable and finally found QED still manufacture classic figure-8 type 79 strands. It is ridicules cheap and thin cable, also the best cable for M40 I have ever tried.

p.s. QED 79 looks like the white cable in the switch-box photo displayed in Harbeth site.

Hu Guest

Where could I find QED 79? Thanks!

Default Re: Cables for your Harbeths

Hi all,
    Has anyone tried Kimber Kable 8TC for their Harbeth C7ES2 or any other Harbeth?

Cheers.
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

Hi there,

I use them with SHL5s and with a McIntosh integrated. All interconnects are also Kimbers. I compared them with Nordost Red Dawn and Monsters of same price range, both bi-wire and mono-wire modes. 8TC in mono-wire looks the best to me, as being less expensive, easier to use and to terminate with standard WBT bananas. No essential differences from bi-wire to mono-wire found as to sound quality.
    Cheers,
    Thanos

Hi Thanos,
    Thanks for repying are you saying that it is no difference from Nordost Red Dawn and Monsters Cable at the same price range? Is the treble note clear? How is bass note for the Kimber 8TC? Are you still using them?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Hi there,

I use them with SHL5s and with a McIntosh integrated. All interconnects are also Kimbers. I compared them with Nordost Red Dawn and Monsters of same price range, both bi-wire and mono-wire modes. 8TC in mono-wire looks the best to me, as being less expensive, easier to use and to terminate with standard WBT bananas. No essential differences from bi-wire to mono-wire found as to sound quality.
    Cheers,
    Thanos

Frihed89 Guest

Default Stay with Copper!

I have also had good success with Kimber copper ICs and speaker cables between all components. Then I tried Audio Note Lexus ICs and speaker cables and got warmth + more detail and less "air". I bought them. Then I auditioned Audience AU 24 equipment. Out of this world, but I can't afford them. As good as the Lexus' are , the AU's are remarkable: just the right combination of warmth and detail.

If you try the AUs or even the Lexus', you may forget any plans you ever had to get silver cables.

Default Re: Cables for your Harbeths (general, not specific Harbeth models)

I'm using 10mm welding cables with very good results. Lots of copper. About $2 a metre at any welding supplier.

David

Frihed89 Guest

I have never heard welding cable, but it is genuinely hard for me to believe that you would not hear a substantial improvement with AN Lexus or Audience AU 24. However, you may not be willing to pay that much more for this improvement, which I can understand.

But one of us is missing something - sound or money!

Default Re: Stay with Copper!

Currently, I am using Audience AU24 interconnects with Hisago 7N Pure copper speaker cable... Just wanting to try some other cable to achieve better bass note.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frihed89
    I have also had good success with Kimber copper ICs and speaker cables between all components. Then I tried Audio Note Lexus ICs and speaker cables and got warmth + more detail and less "air". I bought them. Then I auditioned Audience AU 24 equipment. Out of this world, but I can't afford them. As good as the Lexus' are , the AU's are remarkable: just the right combination of warmth and detail.

If you try the AUs or even the Lexus', you may forget any plans you ever had to get silver cables.

Frihed89 Guest

Default What are you missing?

And are you sure it is due to the cables? It may be due to almost anything else in your system, even your speakers. So make sure these notes you don't like are within the freq. response of your speakers.

I have never heard welding cable, but it is genuinely hard for me to believe that you would not hear a substantial improvement with AN Lexus or Audience AU 24. However, you may not be willing to pay that much more for this improvement, which I can understand.

But one of us is missing something - sound or money!
    Sure. I don't doubt that I may be missing something. On the other hand I may not. The problem is that I have no way of knowing without spending a great deal of money. No-one has been able to explain to me why expensive cables should make a difference, whereas I can understand why a Harbeth loudspeaker should be better than my previous ones. So I prefer to save the little money I have to spend on this hobby (or obsession) on replacing my HP3s with Compact7s-- someday...

If you have never heard welding cable you have a perfect opportunity to test your belief in its inferiority by trying some. It'll only cost you about 20 euros for the experiment. You may like it.

Enjoy the music.

David

Frihed89 Guest

Hi David,

It is hard to argue with the logic. Where did you get the Harbeths in Cape Town? I've never even looked for a high-end audio store, there.

Our last trip early in March was nice, but we only got into Cape Town on the last day to enjoy the sun on Clifton Beach. It was deserted and the restauant we like was closed. I guess the tourist season was over. Things continue to boom in Stellenbosch and since table grape prices are in the toilet I foresee more farms turning into housing developments.

I didn't get the Harbeths in Cape Town. I ordered them from Alan, unheard and unseen (!) I am very, very pleased with them. There are high-end shops in Cape Town, but they're very much for audiophiles... I doubt many people would appreciate Harbeths.

As for Stellenbosch, I went to university there. I fear you're right about the housing developments, alas. Contact me on your next visit if you like. I'm on the University of Cape Town website.

Greetings

David

Default Re: What are you missing?

Hi Frihed89,
    You're right... it was my amp. I just change to Lavardin IS Ref and now I am enjoying the fuller tight bass note!

Enjoy the music...

And are you sure it is due to the cables? It may be due to almost anything else in your system, even your speakers. So make sure these notes you don't like are within the freq. response of your speakers.

wlmdx Guest

Default what jumper do you replace with?

Hi,
    Anyone replace their brass jumpers that came with the Harbeth? What do you replace with?

Hu Guest

I replaced them with Audio Note Lexus jumpers, sounded bright for me, so took them off, still using brass jumpers.

wlmdx Guest

I tried the following (diy):
    1) twisted copper wire(2-4 single 24ga from cat5 cable)====bright
    2) twisted silver plated wire(2-4 single 26ga )======bright
    3) twisted pure silver wire(2x 28ga )=======better
    4) single 28ga pure silver wire=======a lot better,but still bright on some of my recordings.

I am still trying to get the best possible combination.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast