Thread: Monitor 30 with LFD Integrated Zero mk3

Silverwatt Guest

Default Monitor 30 with LFD Integrated Zero mk3

Hello to all.

Although already there is another thread about H. Compact 7 + LFD Zero mk3, like I am a owner of a pair of Monitor 30 and wanted to ask if someone has them with the LFD integrated Zero MK 3. There is dynamics in spite of a sensibility compromised?

Recommendation for other solid state integrated?

I have now a Primaluna Prologue 2. Someone has done the change of tubes to the LFD?

Thank you very much, and a greeting.

W. B. Guest

Default Re: Monitor 30 with LFD Integrated Zero mk3

...I would be interested in some experiences, too!

Regards

W.B.

I used the LFD Zero 3 with my SHL5s for a while. I really enjoyed the presentation in the treble, which was sweet sounding, but found that the midrange, to my ears, was slightly lean and stark. I now use the Luxman 505U, which has a fuller, warmer, more rounded midrange (without being lush) which is more to my tastes. On the plus side, the LFD is very clean and dynamic.

The Monitor 30s are certainly not known for being warmer sounding than the SHL5s, so I imagine you would find the same issue. But obviously this is what I have heard - others here love the Zero 3 with the SHL5s

Also, IMHO, you should take a look at the current Luxman range of integrateds. The 505U is the 'entry' model and to my ears it is a significant step above the LFD.
    Last edited by tozen; 28-01-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: incomplete

W. B. Guest

Thanks Tozen. I read a lot of in the posts regarding amps for the Harbeth speakers.
    I also spoke yesterday with the German distributor. He told me the M30 need a a really good amp to show what they are able to. He recommended the new big Croft amps (as he is the distributer for them, too). I heard similar starements now a couple of times. What made me think is the diffrent value people give to the M30 here in this forum or anywhere. Maybe the M30 could need a bit a diffrent amp than the others (C7 and HL5)?
    I run an Exposure XV now and I like that sound, which is well balanced. But I also would like to have a bit more "air".
    Now I have the oportunity to get an exdem LFD integrated, but had to buy it without listening (from UK), so I am in doubt....

W. B.

It is really quite difficult to buy an amp without listen to it. I am Zero mk3 owner and I love it together with my shl5 and compact 7. I have not heard it drive M30 so far. But I did aware few tube guys tried it and dun like it (Most tube lover will nvr like SS amp, not a surprise) and some love it very much and one of the guy owned many amps including leben, Luxman and Accuphase (a brand which higher class/end than luxman in Japan) finally settle down and happily stay with Zero mk3. And the Zero mk3 is a "entry" model from LFD.

All depend on personal taste. Taiwan M30 owners seem like to use tube with M30. To my ear, compared to many amps, including Exposure, the Zero mk3 always do more right/good than other including the "air".
    "Bath in Music"

The LFD LE 3 with SHL-5 is an eminently musical pairing. I have tried almost all the UK amps over the past 20 over years & i can safely say that LFD is IMHO one of the best. The entry level LE 3 should be much better than any Exposure, integrated or pre/power in terms of tonal purity, transparency, dynamics & dimensionality. Haven't heard any recent Luxman but if its anything like Accuphase or any other high end japanese amps, then its not really my cup of tea but that's just me cause I like brit stuff.

Recently heard the LE 3 driving C7 ES3 & its also a very good pairing. So i reckon it should have no problem driving M30.

Quote Originally Posted by W. B. View Post
    But I also would like to have a bit more "air".
    You can *possibly* get more air from the M30 with a more dynamic, tubey and upfront amp such as the LFD although I cannot guarantee that without knowing how your Exposure sounds like. A point to note is the M30 does sound little shut-in and lacks air compared to the others in the line such as the C7ES3 and SHL5. The M30 is deliberately designed to sound this way to give instruments a richer and more lifelike tonal quality. Food for thought.

Hi Silverwatt, what dont you like with the music from your current amp that makes you want to switch, [ to a solid state]?

Hi everybody,
    I just want to remind a contemporary epidemic disease, that of changing gear mania... Magazines and other factors cultivate it, while we usually pay for illusions...
    If you concentrate in music, you'll probably forget about differences between Primaluna vs LFD vs Luxman vs Accuphase vs such & such....
    Just some thoughts,
    Friendly,
    Thanos

very sensible advice Thanos.

Silverwatt, unless there are practical reasons to change (your current amp is too hot for your climate), the difference in sound would probably be more exaggerated than a lot of people would claim ie. by putting things on a polar scale. Eg. tubes are tubby and warm while solid state is airy (or vice versa). Itíll boil down to matter of preference. Within tubes amps themselves, the design (especially output transformer) will greatly influence the sound. if you not convinced, id suggest listening with many different amps regardless of distinction of tubes vs. solid state or brand vs. brand, before spending hard earned cash. Id be very interested in your findings as well.

johnfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwatt View Post
    Hello to all.

Although already there is another thread about H. Compact 7 + LFD Zero mk3, like I am a owner of a pair of Monitor 30 and wanted to ask if someone has them with the LFD integrated Zero MK 3. There is dynamics in spite of a sensibility compromised?

Recommendation for other solid state integrated?

I have now a Primaluna Prologue 2. Someone has done the change of tubes to the LFD?

Thank you very much, and a greeting.

Forget about those aging UK made Quad 405.2 Pre/pwr. I'm current pumping out good sound using modest cheapo 27w/ch make in China Hybrid amp on my M30.Price ratio amazingly (1.5:10) Work perfecto in my living hall. ....& few friends came to audit whit mouth open wide "Splendid ! !Was once using exposure 2010 pre/pwr to hook up on Rogers Ls3/5a. ....They sound good too. Sold the pre eventually & store the unsold power in store.

The M30 isn't a 'difficult' speaker at all but it will show up a poor amp.

The LFD Int Zero Mk3 is a very good amp to partner them and it does portray space and imagery better than Exposure which is more hard hitting but shut in.

The Croft Micro 25/Series Seven is also an excellent amp for a very reasonable outlay and does the air, space, imagery thing far better than most SS amps. All the new Croft products including the new R series work exceptionally well with Harbeth speakers from the P3ESR to the Monitor 40.1.

W. B. Guest

Talking to the German distributor of Harbeth, the British distributor of LFD and Mr Bauer (Mr dps, who demonstrated Harbeth speakers with Exposure amps), I was convinced that going ahead with the small LFD integrated will be only slightly better. It seems than the old Farlow stuff is a good match with the Harbeth. And yes, I sold already the much mor expensive Linn Majiks. Planning to make a bigger upgrade - I think now I would need a pre/power solution (LFD or Croft among others).

Beside Croft I got another interesting recommondation for the M30:
    Trichord D300 Mono Power Amplifiers

maybe with some valve pre.

Regards
    W. B.

Once I saw 300W into 4 ohms and the size of the Tricord amps I knew these would be Class D. Although I have no experience with Class D amps, I would advise extra precaution going into this territory. They may sound worse than your Exposure you have right now.

Personally I don't think you need huge power for the M30 to open up. Another option to consider is the Luxman L590AII Class A amp. Although only 30W, a user informed that it sounded substantially more powerful than a Mcintosh pre/power that one may take the reverse when listening blindfolded. Not cheap though but have received mostly good comments everywhere. Costs more than 3X the LFD.

W. B. Guest

I also have no experience with class D. The guy who was surprisingly convinced with them was also very skeptical before. I havenīt heard them, but I wanted to share this suggestion. Sometimes it is good to follow diffrent routes.

The Lfd or the Exposure have enough power to drive the M30. But tonally, maybe, they could benefit from a `better` (not bigger) amp. At least this I think these suggestions were pointing to.

Regards

W. B.

WB, I can concur with that. My SHL5s, and so presumably the M30s also, have clearly shown the tonal differences between a Quad 909, a LFD Zero III and a Lux 505U. The differences have not been huge, but very clearly discernable. One of the things I love about my Harbeths is that they clearly reveal differences in the rest of the system, but without really spotlighting them.

I have learnt over recent months how much the amp affects the overall musicality of the system. Not everyone agrees for sure... but my experience anyway. Both the LFD and Luxman are very musical sounding, albeit in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tozen View Post
    One of the things I love about my Harbeths is that they clearly reveal differences in the rest of the system, but without really spotlighting them.

I have learnt over recent months how much the amp affects the overall musicality of the system. Not everyone agrees for sure... but my experience anyway....
    I have to agree this..I do have same experiences...Harbeth by default is truely plug and play speakers..she do able to tell your the differences between brand A, B, C, etc source/amp sound characteristic.
    "Bath in Music"

Default M30 and LFD amp

Hello,

I use my m30's with the LFD NCSE amplifier with excellent results. I also used the same amp with SHL5's with good results, but I much prefer the m30's in my room. I love my lfd amp, I traded mid level Naim seperates to get it. I feel the m30's compliment the amp perfectly, with a midrange fluidity to die for.