Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying your Harbeths - real benefits or not?

Default Modifying your Harbeths - real benefits or not?

This thread concerns accessories for your Harbeths.

John Parkyn Guest

Default What else is there?

What else could one possibly need or use beside ears, a room, a chair, electricity, amp, source, cables, interconnects, stands (and speakers)?

What accessories? What worthwhile accessories?
    Last edited by John Parkyn; 08-02-2006 at 08:40 PM.

How about the Totem Beaks? Maybe it might help...
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

Frihed89 Guest

Default The Ikea Lak Speaker Stand

I recently purchased a pair of the 65 cm stands to use with small 12" monitors like the HLP3.

The construction is pretty bad: large screws on the top end of each leg that need to be screwed into the speaker base. That's it. From experience, i can tell you that making these legs stay truely perpindicular (90 deg.) to the base will be hard without modification, and that once installed, the legs will probably wobble somewhat. At the very least, the four legs need to be joined together (i.e. braced) at one and, still better, two locations.

Has anyone confronted this situation since Alan made us aware of these price-savers?

When it warms up over zero (and after i cut and gather up all the old biomass from my wildflower stalks and stems) , i am going out in my workshop and modify these stands, so they will be true and steady.

They look quite nice.

Default Ikea stands ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frihed89
    I recently purchased a pair of the 65 cm stands to use with small 12" monitors like the HLP3. The construction is pretty bad: large screws on the top end of each leg that need to be screwed into the speaker base. That's it. ....
    What you have there can not be a complete Ikea stand. You seem to have only the four legs of the stand. You are surely missing the thick veneered wooden top plate into which the four legs screw and onto which the speaker sits. The speakers are not in contact with the legs, nor would I suggest in my wildest moments of fantasy that you destroy a Harbeth cabinet by screwing into the cabinet underside directly!

I have several of these stands: the machining of the legs and the top is excellent and when the legs are twisted onto the top they are at exactly 90?. The whole construction is stable and very elegant. I have a pair of C7's at home on these at the moment in my study: nice and tall.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Frihed89 Guest

I must be awful at expressing myself in writing.

I have the base (top?) on which the speakers would stand and the 4 legs that screw into the base. But the legs need to be braced I think, because they just screw into the base unit, as you say. But you say, not so. OK. I'll give it a go.

I certainly would not screw/hammer/saw/touch the speakers in an way. The bracing is just to kep the legs vertical and position.

Is that clearer.

Default Ikea stands

I have the base (top?) on which the speakers would stand and the 4 legs that screw into the base. But the legs need to be braced I think, because they just screw into the base unit, as you say.
    There is absolutely no need for cross bracing. The P3 weighs about 5kg. Just now I lifted off one of my C7s and climbed onto the Lack stand. I weigh 83kg. Then I jumped on the stand. It is absolutely stable.

The machining is very good: the legs are at exactly 90 degrees to the top plate.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Frihed89 Guest

Default That sounds great

Well, that certainly puts the lie to my judgement. But it's nice to hear. Did you really jump on them? Wow.

Did you really jump on them? Wow.
    Yes, I really, truly did. I distracted my wife by sending her on a mission to make a cup of tea a) so she didn't have to observe the circus show and conclude that I'd finally flipped and b) just in case it did collapse in which case I would have blamed you. Or her. Or Ikea. Or the HUG. Or everyone - but me.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Frihed89 Guest

The 65 cm models? (It would have to be for the HLP3).

I haven't put them together, but it's hard to believe looking at the parts in the box (4 legs + speaker base). Therefore, I am overjoyed by the results from your professional testing methods.

The 65 cm models? (It would have to be for the HLP3)
    Yes, I just measured them. 65cms from floor to the top of the top plate. Strong as an ox. They suit the C7 very well indeed as the top plate is just a cm. or two bigger.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

amadeuswus Guest

Default Lack stands with M30s?

Hi Alan,

I just joined this group, having recently bought a pair of M30s. I am enjoying their sound very much, even without proper stands. (They are sitting on open-back chairs!)

Would the Lack stands work well with M30s? Does it matter that the top plate would be somewhat larger than the speaker's footprint?

Thanks,
    Edward

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.
    Yes, I just measured them. 65cms from floor to the top of the top plate. Strong as an ox. They suit the C7 very well indeed as the top plate is just a cm. or two bigger.

danrubin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amadeuswus
    Hi Alan,

I just joined this group, having recently bought a pair of M30s. I am enjoying their sound very much, even without proper stands. (They are sitting on open-back chairs!)

Would the Lack stands work well with M30s? Does it matter that the top plate would be somewhat larger than the speaker's footprint?

Thanks,
    Edward
    Probably a little short for the M30s, but I think you will find them an improvement -- perhaps a vast improvement -- on the open-back chairs. When I moved my Harbeths from chairs to the Lack stands, I was shocked at the improvement. For the price, just do it. Regarding the top plate, postion the speakers so the front planes are flush with or even a little overhanging the top plates of the stands.

I have my HL5s on the Lack stands. By my calculations, the HL5s should be on stands of the same height as the Compact 7s (on the basis of tweeter location). I could maybe go 1-3 inches higher, but it's definitely in the right neighborhood.

Default IKEA Lack stands. IMPORTANT UPDATE Jan 2008

Today I visited the IKEA store in south London to investigate the comment made here recently that IKEA have changed the dimensions of the stand. It seem to be true. Originally, they sold this Lack product as a plant-pot stand, but they now seem to have redesigned it as a mini-table with a much increased top-plate. I have bought two for experimental use under Monitor 40.1.

The IKEA part number is now: 401.042.70. The top plate measures 55cm x 55cm and when assembled, the bottom of the speaker will sit 45cms above the floor (about 18 inches) - rather tall for M40.1. This larger top plate is now really too big for all but the M40/M40.1 and even so, is bigger than the speaker's footprint: it doesn't look great but will get you going.

I strongly suggest that you invest in proper, approved stands like the Skylan or Brooke's stand as shown at our CES room, Jan. 2008.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

dimosko Guest

Default Stands for C7ES3

Hi Alan, I'm Massimo and write from Italy. I have bought finally a pair of C7ES3 and i have the problem of the right stands. I actually have a a pair of Epos ST12 (50 cm. and 5/6 kg.). What do you think about? Are too light? And the Skylan 4P20?
    Thanks, Massimo

Frihed89 Guest

Default Re: Accessories for your Harbeths

Hej Massimo,

Look at this picture from CES: http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2007/Harbeth-450.jpg. I think those are Syland stands on the right that were at RMAF 2008. But the subject of high mass vs. open stands is a topic of hot debate, esp. with respect to the minis. I am not sure where Alan Shaw stands on this topic, nor I.

Hi Dimosko,

The Epos stands that you have are the correct height for the Compact - 7 and you may be able to add a bit of Mass by filling the legs with fine sand. If there are no holes there already you may be able to drill some and later covet them with black tape or sticker. You can also add to the performance by having an MDF board cut to the same size as the cabinet and the fitted to the top of the stand with Blue-Tac. Then place 4 Polyurethane Bumpons athe corners directly under the cabinets. This board will act to dampen Resonances that may migrate back from the steel. Supporting the cabinet out near the corners will also alow the bottom panel to very slightly flex as intended. Be sure to use pointed feet if on a carpet floor as this will add to stability and give overall best imaging.

Noel.

This is the second time today I've read recommendations for sand filling Epos style stands...

There definitely seems to be two views on Harbeth stands. The ones I like (for UK rooms anyway) is the rigid, light, carbon pad decoupled one specially made by "Something Solid," which I found to "open them up" - sorry Alan...

In more bass absorbent rooms, it seems that wooden or heavy metal stands seem the way to go - interesting.

P.S. I used 12.7mm dia, 3.5mm thick approx clear plastic feet to sit the speakers on, one at each corner, and these were great. Dealers in the UK can get these from RS Components and I found they extended the life of demonstrator speakers too, as well as letting the cabinets flex slightly as designed.
    Last edited by DSRANCE; 01-02-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Corrected clear feet dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by DSRANCE View Post
    This is the second time today I've read recommendations for sand filling Epos style stands...

There definitely seems to be two views on Harbeth stands. The ones I like (for UK rooms anyway) is the rigid, light, carbon pad decoupled one specially made by "Something Solid," which I found to "open them up" - sorry Alan...

In more bass absorbent rooms, it seems that wooden or heavy metal stands seem the way to go - interesting.

P.S. I used 3.6mm dia, 1.5mm thick approx clear plastic feet to sit the speakers on, one at each corner, and these were great. Dealers in the UK can get these from RS Components and I found they extended the life of demonstrator speakers too, as well as letting the cabinets flex slightly as designed.
    Please provide the part number for the "clear plastic feet" and which section of the catalogue ..electrical, mechanical..

Thanks

The current stock number is 248 - 451

Home >Mechanical Components> Anti-Vibration Mounts and Feet> Anti Vibration Feet

I'm sorry, I got the original dimensions completely wrong.....

- Height 3.5mm, dia 12.7mm - clear or grey (I always used the clear ones as I often fitted them to small speakers that were sitting on a metal "display shelf" but it doesn't matter.

Hope this helps......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast