Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite recordings - your choice ...

Default Re: Favourite recordings - your choice ...

One of my favourite LP will be this, which I wish to share with all :)

THE ROYAL BALLET - Gala Performance --- RCA Victor Living Stereo

myview Guest

What an interesting thread which I have found too late!

For the Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov concertos, I recommend the recordings found on the Chesky label. They were analogue recordings which originally appeared under the Readers Digest label, made by the late recording guru Kenneth Wilkinson (who worked at DECCA for many years). The pianist was Earl Wild. Although made in the (early?) 60's, the sound is superb and the playing exhilarating. I am so impressed with the recordings made by Kenneth Wilkinson that I am trying to hunt down more of his recordings. Since many people here seems to embrace LPs, I thought I'd mention that I have only heard the CD versions as I am not into LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    After I got Harbeths, sound quality is no longer an issue to me. Enjoying music is the only thing I can do when I listen to them. I know what I heard from them is the true color of source or recording itself. I do agree the Belafonte at Carnegie Hall was colored..But, hey, I always keep singing and tapping the floor whenever I enjoying that album thru my Harbeths...

Two more albums keep spinning in mind again:
    1. Rachmaninaff piano concerto no.3 by Janis/Dorati/LSO(Mercury, 1960+): Obviously the balance of this recording is off, too focus on the piano, but that can not stop me to enjoy it.

2. Tchaikovsky piano concerto no.1 by Argerich/Abbado/Berlin live (DG, 1989 live?): again, the piano sound was focused to sound as I very close to the pianist with wonderfull body, harmonic, attach and decay without harsh. DG did that without compromise the orchestra sound. The overall balance is better than Mercury.

Wow...I love them!

DrewTurner Guest

Jazz lovers...just purchased a fantastic Joshua Redman CD called" Compass".Tenor and soprano sax,acoustic bass and drums only,no piano.Incredible performances, beautifully recorded. Reminds me of Sonny Rollin's "Way out west" recording.

I've been listening to the following LPs for the past few weeks & have enjoyed them tremendously on my SHL-5s with LFD LE III

1) Tchaikovsky "1812" overture & Nutcracker suite with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Robert Sharples
    2) Ravel Rapsodie Espagnole with Detroit Symphony Orchestra conducted by Paul Paray (Superb recording made by Mercury Living Presence)
    3) Ravel Rapsodie Espagnole with Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner (slightly different from Paul Paray's version but still excellent)
    4) Vivaldi Lute Concertos & Trios played by Liszt Ferenc Chamber Orchestra (very very nice)
    5) Ravel : Alborada Del Gracioso with Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner (Superb singles 45rpm recording & playing with frightening dynamics)
    6) Rimsky-Korsakoff Scheherazade, OP 35 with again the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Fritz Reiner (Another superb LP)
    7) Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D Major with Tossy Spivakovsky on Violin (Very nice)
    8) W.A. Mozart Serenades & Divertimenti
    9) The evergreen Vivaldi's 4 seasons
    10) Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake

Hi,
    Myview, thank you for the recommendations. For absolute music enjoyment, medium is not a problem to me. Most of my classical musics are CD. LP only less than 50 pieces. I have enjoying Earl Wild/Rachmaninov Piano concertos no.1, no.4 and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini CD for many years. I missed his Rach's piano concerto no.2 and very regret. Calssical music is getting rare in Singpaore market. What a sad thing huh? I love Tchaikovsky piano concerto no.1 but I did not aware Earl Wild version!! Must hunt for it now.

Yes. Chesky analoge remstered classical musics were originally recorded by Decca greatest guru Kenneth Wilkinson. But they put it as "Kenneth E. Wilkinson. I love his recording too. He did few recoring for RCA too. But due to some reasons, some issues did not able to state his name. One of the popular one is The Royal Ballet reissued by Classical Compact and now by China company. Oh ya, another one show as below:

Quote Originally Posted by myview View Post
    What an interesting thread which I have found too late!

For the Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov concertos, I recommend the recordings found on the Chesky label. They were analogue recordings which originally appeared under the Readers Digest label, made by the late recording guru Kenneth Wilkinson (who worked at DECCA for many years). The pianist was Earl Wild. Although made in the (early?) 60's, the sound is superb and the playing exhilarating. I am so impressed with the recordings made by Kenneth Wilkinson that I am trying to hunt down more of his recordings. Since many people here seems to embrace LPs, I thought I'd mention that I have only heard the CD versions as I am not into LPs.
    Last edited by keithwwk; 17-02-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typo correction
    "Bath in Music"

Well my first post on here and my 3 choices would be;

Led Zeppelin I - A great album and the band were just oh so blues'y
    Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue, cant really say anything on this but play it 3 to 4 times a week
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from mars, simply great

I havnt brought any Harbeth speakers yet but hanging around on here and reading the threads is probably gonna make me buy a pair

Lee

When was the last time any of you put this on for a spin:

CD or Six-eye, the proceedings are at once intimate and glorious - the perfect profile of a staggering genius of a man.

Ah, yeah...Mingus Ah Um. My favorite Mingus album. It's good any way you hear it, but if you can find the mono pressing, it's just sweet.

Mono rules!

But I haven't had the good fortune of finding a mono copy at sane prices and in a decent condition. Till then...

Beethoven Piano concerto no.2 and no.3, Argerich/Abbado/Mahler Chember Orchestra. Wonderfull live recording.

"Bath in Music"

I've listened to John Coltrane's "Lush Life" four or five times in the past few days. Just beautiful playing.

Wow keithwwk, that's a killer lineup! Must be stunning stuff. Will check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

douga, I found the second reissue CD a lot better than the first in terms of sound quality. They've done a remarkable job of cleaning up the tape drop-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by timleety View Post
    douga, I found the second reissue CD a lot better than the first in terms of sound quality. They've done a remarkable job of cleaning up the tape drop-outs.
    When you say "second reissue" are you talking about the Rudy Van Gelder reissue?

I love acoustic Sax jazz..I recently bought 3 albums by Stan Getz. I love his style. Can not stop listening..

"More stan Getz for lovers" :
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YiezeiajU9SlKM:
    "Bath in Music"

DrewTurner Guest

Could not agree more Keithwwk.Harbeth speakers really highlight the beautiful tone/timbre Getz produced with his horn.Here are are 2 more STAN GETZ recordings he recorded late, in his all to short life.I've yet to hear another speaker that reproduces the natural timbres of Brass and Reed instruments like Harbeth.

STAN GETZ - CAFE MONTMARTRE or
    STAN GETZ W/ KENNY BARRON - PEOPLE TIME...both live recordings. Enjoy!

second that, and with some others in the mix
    STAN GETZ & JOAO GILBERTO Featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim Verve 1997, there is lovely "Girl from Ipanema", man's and then woman's voice, and then the sax
    which leads us to the man himself
    ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM A Certain Mr Jobim Warner Masters 1967
    and sort of makes me think of BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB with Ry Cooder (not as good a recording the first) who then sort of makes me think of Mavis Staples.
    On quality, listened to Lou Reed's "Raven" last night and there are some tracks on there which are right in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    I love acoustic Sax jazz..I recently bought 3 albums by Stan Getz. I love his style. Can not stop listening..
    Keith, if you love Getz, try this one:

Not your usual west coast cool, but seductively lush strings featuring Getz as more of a composer. I think you'll dig this album.

Quote Originally Posted by douga View Post
    When you say "second reissue" are you talking about the Rudy Van Gelder reissue?
    Yes sir. Even the later European digipacks were markedly improved.

But heck, when it comes to Trane, I don't pay much heed to "sound"!

JoeHutch Guest

I picked up a copy of the CD for 3! I felt almost guilty at paying so little.

Default Stan Getz

Thanks Drew, Kitty and Tim. Will look for them.

Btw, the Focus album's cover is pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by timleety View Post
    "Bath in Music"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast