View Poll Results: Longest hours of listening you have spent on your Harbeth speakers

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 hours of listening

1 4.35%
  • 4 hours of listening

7 30.43%
  • 6 hours of listening

6 26.09%
  • Beyond 10 hours of listening

9 39.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The longest hours you have spent on your Harbeth

Default The longest hours you have spent on your Harbeth

(I have moved this here as I think it is more appropriate here, hope to hear from my fellow Harbeth users on this poll)

Hi all... lovers of Harbeth,

I would like to know what is the longest hours has one spent listening on their Harbeth speakers in one session?

For me, my longest record to date is 15hours of Vinyls and CDs, this will include toilet breaks, smoke breaks, lunch and dinner (45mins each). Average listening hours would be 4hours...

Hope I am not the only crazy one around... :p

Cheers!

Default Re: The longest hours you have spent on your Harbeth

Tein3, you are definitely not the only crazy one here.

Some years ago when i was still single, i used to click average 6 to 8 hrs on weekdays & about 15 to 20 hrs on weekends (not inclusive of meals & toilet breaks). )

Amongst the numerous spks i had, only Harbeth can make me sit down & listen for so many hours on end! Definitely not the speakers for one who values beauty sleep more than beautiful music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Tein3, you are definitely not the only crazy one here.

Some years ago when i was still single, i used to click average 6 to 8 hrs on weekdays & about 15 to 20 hrs on weekends (not inclusive of meals & toilet breaks). )

Amongst the numerous spks i had, only Harbeth can make me sit down & listen for so many hours on end! Definitely not the speakers for one who values beauty sleep more than beautiful music.
    Wow! Glad to hear that I am not the only crazy one around and you been the crazier one, LOL. So I am normal... and not abnormal....

Quote Originally Posted by tein3 View Post
    Wow! Glad to hear that I am not the only crazy one around and you been the crazier one, LOL. So I am normal... and not abnormal....
    Alas, can't do that anymore ever since i settled down....wife will protest!
    Can only do that again when she's overseas on official business...haha.

Alas, can't do that anymore ever since i settled down....wife will protest!
    Can only do that again when she's overseas on official business...haha.
    hahahaha, lucky me, so far for the last 2 to 3 months... my wife has yet protest, before Harbeth arrived in my house was not as long of a listening or as "bad".

Anyway... I have change my sofa in the listening room so as she could join me and I could soften the protest... but when she comes in... the seat will be shifted left so as I maintain the sweet spot for listening when she sits next to me, LOL! She only takes on the sweet spot on the seat when we are listening to singers that she likes

Quote Originally Posted by tein3 View Post
    hahahaha, lucky me, so far for the last 2 to 3 months... my wife has yet protest, before Harbeth arrived in my house was not as long of a listening or as "bad".

Anyway... I have change my sofa in the listening room so as she could join me and I could soften the protest... but when she comes in... the seat will be shifted left so as I maintain the sweet spot for listening when she sits next to me, LOL! She only takes on the sweet spot on the seat when we are listening to singers that she likes
    Wah at least your wife still listens to some music on your Harbeth...my wife totally don't appreciate music....but i am quite lucky in the sense that she allows me to listen at whatever volume i desire....haha...many of my friends listen at whisper soft volume when their wives are at home...Lol....

Wah at least your wife still listens to some music on your Harbeth...my wife totally don't appreciate music....but i am quite lucky in the sense that she allows me to listen at whatever volume i desire....haha...many of my friends listen at whisper soft volume when their wives are at home...Lol....
    Well.... your listening volume is truly amzing.... ;)

Wow... looks like there are another 2 whom are like us, have ever enjoyed long listening hours stretching beyond 10hrs with Harbeth. We are normal :p

i did ever listen more than 10hrs during weekend..I like to listen music early morning and very often can not stop listen untill my wife knocking my door...:P

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    i did ever listen more than 10hrs during weekend..I like to listen music early morning and very often can not stop listen untill my wife knocking my door...:P
    You are in "HEAVEN".....

Vlado Guest

What's the purpose of this pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    What's the purpose of this pool?
    Probably just to find out how obsessed Harbeth users are to their speakers....lol...

I have read of some Spendor users displaying photos of their Spendor spks on their work desk....any Harbeth users do that? Well, i use pics of Harbeth SHL-5 as my notebook screen saver & in my handphone screen saver as well....lol...

Vlado Guest

Probably just to find out how obsessed Harbeth users are to their speakers....
    Personaly I think that all this is about music. Or?

Yes its all about listening to the music we love on Harbeths & how addictive the sound is so much so that we can sacrifice so much sleep & other activities over it.

Yes, it is about music and the poll was just to have a feel on how many people does listening to Harbeth, which is easy to listen to... and what hours has it stretch without any fatigue

I think this is actually a very interesting thread. I wonder if Harbeth listeners on-average listen for longer than those using other harder, fatiguing speakers. I would imagine they do, since the defining characteristic of Harbeths seems to be the 'curtain of sound' they effortlessly generate, completely free from the constraints of two physical boxes. Indeed, with eyes closed, where are the two boxes?

I was talking to a freelance professional sound engineer this week. He was saying what a "blessed relief" it was to use Harbeths in one studio compared to the 'hard, fatiguing and after one hour almost unlistenable to' speakers he so often encounters. Interestingly, he commented (and he should know - his job is mixing and adjusting small details in a sound production) that another UK brand who use dome speaker units (which are promoted for their natural sound) are exceptionally fatiguing.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Yesss,

When at work, always looking forward for the time to get home..... On week days always looking forward for weekend.. when working outstation ..always waiting to get home.....miss listening to beautiful music coming from HARBETH. As I type.. I "relisten"... keep on pressing the replay button.. playing one cd only.. I have more waiting to be spinned..

Nothing make me happier than listen to beautiful music..

Folks here who manage to hit past 10 hours are incredible. I concur the fresh and smooth sound of the Harbeth does promote an extremely low listening fatigue. So low that I doze off on the couch in the midst of a listening session once. I admit I was tired after a hard day of work on that particular day.

He was saying what a "blessed relief" it was to use Harbeths in one studio compared to the 'hard, fatiguing and after one hour almost unlistenable to' speakers he so often encounters. Interestingly, he commented (and he should know - his job is mixing and adjusting small details in a sound production) that another UK brand who use dome speaker units (which are promoted for their natural sound) are exceptionally fatiguing.
    That is the problem with certain "exciting" speakers deliberately designed to sound more forward with extended highs, or for the lack of a better term tilted high-frequencies. They may sound breathtaking or thrilling at first with all the details and wonderful "resolution" but after a while the ears get tired. For people who own some of these ultra-revealing speakers I reckon it is highly unlikely they will manage to even listen past 3 hours, not to mention the incredible feat of 10 recorded by some folks here. Amazing. 15 hours? Hats off to the man who started this thread.

Yes!

And nothing gives me more satisfaction than 'cheating reality' by creating a sound from mere wood and plastic that can, under the right circumstances, sonically seduce the listener! The less you can see of my hand the in the design and the more of the original sound that flows through, the better. If you can see nothing of me, then that is perfection! My job is not to add anything. I'm not painting pictures, I'm taking high resolution photographs.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

This might be the best indicator yet for what a good pair of speakers are ie. how long we can listen to them. When i use to work in singapore, i left my hifi on all the time while i was home, listening to the BBC world service which was (might still be?) available on FM. The speakers were a pair of Rogers and i still have them. Like the pair of Harbeths i have now, they are not super exciting but endearing. They will be like an old pair of sneakers or jeans where you just want to keep hanging on to. I think i know which "natural" sounding brand Alan is referring to because i had a pair of them before the SHL5's replaced them. ;-)

Yes, it is all about muisc. Harbeth is a ll about music and interprte music with zero fatigue wonderfully for long hrs listening...last night I heard Wonderful full tube setup at my friend there and I was dream abt it's sound this morning tapping my feet with the music....amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast