Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: what CDP are you using?

I have used half a dozen mid priced CD players in the last ten years, including at one time an expensive outboard DAC, and they all sounded the same to me.
    I now have all my music in lossless files on a hard disc, playing it via a Sonos wireless front end connected via a digital cable to the DAC on my CD player, and it sounds just the same as CD replay, with a lot more added convenience based features.

Default Tubes/SS

My update since last posting on this thread, is a SONY 5400ES. I have had it modified by VSE. While it is capable of surround, I'm using it with C7ES3, REL B-3 and Leben CS300XS. I am very pleased with this combination. The SONY replaced a PrimaLuna that I was very happy with. I used the PrimaLuna with LFD Mk IV, and that was an excellent combination. I have tried tubed cdp with tubed amp, and ss cdp with ss amp, but I find mixing either way preferable.

I am now using a Rega Apollo-R with Brio-R and my Harbeth P3ESR's and a TEAC Reference PD-H600 in my living room system.

I'm using a Marantz SA11S2 and Luxman L505U with S-HL5. Upgraded from a Marantz CD63.

Default Custom music server

Well I guess this does not really apply here, but I thought I would join in anyway. My last CD player was the last CD player I will ever own. I have built my own custom music server and only play FLAC files now and I have never played so much music in my life - I totally love it, it sounds better than my last CD player and players costing quite a few thousand, but above all is much more convenient if you have a large music collection.

Best thing I ever did guys and I know its not for everyone, but it has taken my enjoyment of music to another level.

Default Accuphase E560

Quote Originally Posted by jim123 View Post
    I'm using a Marantz SA11S2 and Luxman L505U with S-HL5. Upgraded from a Marantz CD63.
    I'm using a Marantz SA11S2 with S-HL5. Upgraded from a Marantz CD63SE KI too But with and Accuphase E560

Default Cavin

I have just bought Cayin 50t CD player for my M30 and Lavardin IT combo. Not the king of detail but really sweet analogue sound!

I feel Cd players have sonic characteristics and this one is in the warm and sweet side.
    Cheers.

Default Tascam CD

Unusually, I use a Tascam CD-RW700 as I transfer vinyl, R to R tapes and Cassettes to CD. I do this on a semi-pro basis. It is a competent CD player and very reliable, as is all Tascam kit. Professionals need reliable equipment !

I also use a Naim CD 3.5 on a second system with my HL-P3s. It is the closest I have heard to a good turntable. Yes, I really like playing records...

Default Fd-1010

Rarely play CDs these days, but my old Philips / Magnavox FD-1010, from the early '80's, is always a pleasure. An ergonomic masterpiece.

IMG_20130112_132800.jpg

Gregl Guest

Default 105

Try the new 105 it's incredible.

Gregl Guest

Default Cantata

The Cantata is absolutely amazing. But very expensive but it is very well backed up and I will have it for a long time.

It is also a beautiful piece or should I say kit.

Default Unique Plinius

I use a couple of different CD players in my two stereo systems: Plinius CD-101 in the whole Plinius set, now vintage Advantage CD-1 and also a small outboard DAC Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

I really like the Plinius, it is elegant and original in that it does not have a display. It's one of its kind.
    I love my Harbeth P3ESRs

Default Accuphase DP-55V

Just switched from the Lector 7 Mk3 to an Accuphase DP-55V. Not the same resolution but surely a nice player, works very nicely with my M30's being a little softer and rounder.
    For HDCD i use my old Arcam Alpha 9. Still a great player! Paid 70 GPB for it, and that is just silly..

Default Great, affordable options

I drive a pair of P3ES-2s by a Rotel RA-1062 amp, paired with its sibling RCD-1072. Great-sounding low-to-mid price gear.

Alternative sources are a Squeezebox Duet (mostly for internet radio) and occasionally a portable DVD player, both connected via a DACMagic.

Default Naim to Rega

During the last seven years, I have been using Naim CD players. I have had a few models, from CD5i to CDX2/XPS.2.
    I am now using a CD5i, with a Nait 5i. The lack of an empty socket for an external psu is very reassuring..
    A few days ago, though, I have heard a rega Apollo, finding it natural, genuine and convincing.

Default Rega Saturn

Rega Saturn through LFD MKiv with LFD power,speaker, and interconnect cabling.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456