Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: what CDP are you using?

Default what CDP are you using?

Hi

Which is the favourite CDP that you are using or have used? can share with us?

leave those TT, servers, tuner aside for the time being

Default Re: what CDP are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    Hi

Which is the favourite CDP that you are using or have used? can share with us?

leave those TT, servers, tuner aside for the time being

Hi,

I'm using a Meridian 507 since 2003 without a single problem. No XLR conns, but I belong to those who doubt their so widely proclaimed superiority, especially against quality RCAs. My amp also (McIntosh MA 6500) doesn't provide such conns, so no thinking about it. A very nice and neutral all rounder, also matching very well indeed with warm & sweet sounding amps - IMHO of course. It didn't cost a fortune, anyhow I don't believe in skyhigh priced cdp's, I'd rather pay a good sum for a fine vinyl system... (which I -thanks God- already have).
    I also run a Yamaha CDR1500-HDD, which is very heavy and enough complicated, but does perform very well (especially in record/write mode), although a bit noisy while the the HDD works. For the money, it's a damn good machine!

Paris Kotsis Guest

I have been using Naim CD5x for some years now and recently added a Flatcap2x power supply with great results. It has been and still is an absolutely "honest" reference source with all Harbeth models and all kinds of music I have bought these years.

macraddy Guest

Sugden Masterclass CDP - The most natural sounding digital source I?ve heard. Inexpensive too.

Meridian 508.24 cd player.

I want a Sugden Masterclass at some point.

Also listen to Radio 3 on my Audiolab tuner - very good indeed!
    "No Man an Island" - John Donne

macraddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nicedoc441 View Post
    Meridian 508.24 cd player.

I want a Sugden Masterclass at some point.

Also listen to Radio 3 on my Audiolab tuner - very good indeed!
    Ooo ? live recitals from Radio 3 are stunning on a nice tuner ? good work!

Shutterbox Guest

Opera Consonance CD120 Linear.

Smooth player

Naim CD5X w/Flatcap 2X. Very nice sounding.

Marantz CD17mkIII, Marantz CD6000KI and a Modded Lite Tube Dac 50.

YBA CD1 in the double external power supply version: extremely transparent, precise, neutral and dynamic, yet with texture, body , fabulous tonality... liquid, delicate, refined. Great soundstaging and imaging, too.

I also have an EAR Acute with nos siemens valves: very close to the YBA in everything if not quite as transparent and with the same clarity.

Some "vintage" cdp's sound very good and will last (YBA's, Meridian 506, 507, 508, Revox 226, Teac VRDP 10 ...) because the mechanical part was much better and there was a greater choice of chips available, allowing to take the signal right after conversion and customize it.
    Today's most expensive CDP's use cheap cdrom heads or the only still made for audio (Philips PRO2) which is still a far cry from the best made 20 years ago. And most chips are an all inclusive package.

Harbeth's - in my case M40.1's - are very balanced and work well with a lot of different electronics, including CDP's.

Bryston BCD-1. Wow.

Luxman DU 80 - Very Nice Indeed !

Audio Note AN-2 - Restores faith in digital.

Pentagon CD 70- Made in Germany

Sony CDPC 505- Makes me wish I was deaf. Hateful in every way.
    Special Agent
    Lorpuris

No CDP. Streaming music with Linn Majik DS-I.

A CD player? So 20th century!

A MacBook, Bel Canto 24/96 USB-Link, and mhdt Havana DAC. Sounds great.

Currently: Macbook Pro - M2Tech Hiface - Naim DAC &
    Cambridge 650BD - Naim DAC

Previously...

Macbook Pro - Weiss DAC2

Slim Devices Transporter

Naim CD5X

Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Lavry DA10
    Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Beresford DAC
    Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Benchmark DAC1

I don't want to send a thread about loudspeakers off track, but I feel that I can trust people who like Harbeths with advice about other equipment.

First, I'm currently using a Quad CD- 2for CDs with an Oppo 980 for video and the very few SACDs I have. The Oppo playing SACDs doesn't seem to me to be much better than the same discs on CD through the Quad. (I prefer vinyl, but that's another story).

I need to rationalize my equipment and was wondering whether the Oppo with one of the current inexpensive DACs ({-}Dac, Cambridge Audio DAC-Magic, or the Beresford Caiman) would be acceptable. I have a very tight budget.

Thanks,

David

David

I have a Quad 77 CD Player I have not used in quite a while.

My CDs have been ripped to FLAC and I stream via a Squeezebox.

I use a Beresford Caiman to receive S/PDIF from the Squeezebox, the TV and Sat or Cable TV Box. The Caiman connects via USB to my Windows 7 Laptop, if I want do do it that way.

The Caiman is in a different class to the ageing Quad 77 player. The Oppo will be limited by it's internal DAC, as is the Quad CDP.

My Quad 77 FM Tuner is also silent - I stream hibit internet radio through the Squeezebox or from Free-view.

I no longer have need for any analogue input - no LPs and no Tapes. Not for many years, so the Caiman is my "Preamp" driving a refurbished Quad 405-2 directly.

I have other plans for my Quad 77 Integrated Amp, but I will sell the CDP and Tuner.

You have missed a very competent DAC is the same price bracket as the Caiman

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...Controller/BAB

There is much discussion on the Caiman here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Search for keywords on the forum.

Ask more if you choose.

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport with a Bel Canto DAC3 using the Virtual Battery Supply VBS1.
    The transport can not only play CDs but also hi-res music data discs (up to 24/192 PCM)

David

audio39 Guest

I'm using and enjoying very much the McIntosh MCD-500 SACD/CD player...but the newest Luxman players have my attention and I may be moving on.

I'm just warming up a Luxman D-06 with my 1 week old amp. In combination with a C7ES-3 I am happy!

My ex-CD player is a {-} CD and is in perfect working condition. Another item I can happily handover to my nephew. He's in training to become another music lover. He already has composed a tune all on his own and is constantly playing in my head.
    Last edited by A.S.; 23-09-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional info and bad English

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast