Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what CDP are you using?

OK. I too have a a Squeezebox Classic. It feeds a Beresford Caiman DAC and drives either a Quad 77 Integrated amp or a Quad 405-2, depending whether I am in UK or Cyprus. The Squeezebox and DAC travel with me, as does the Windows 7 Laptop which acts as server. Fine results.

My 77 CDP still works, as does my 77 FM Tuner, but I don't use them. Playing FLACs or Internet Radio through the Squeezebox and Caiman beats them by a significant margin.

The BBC Radio 3 HD stream at 320kb/s off the Squeezebox using the iPlayer Plugin is superb.

I am intreagued by streaming music. Excuse my ignorance, but what is an NAS? And when streaming music using a Squeezebox, is broadband bandwidth an issue? Thanks in advance for info.

Ben

NAS = Network Attached Storage. Usually a hard rive in its own box accessible to any computer on the (home) network. Broadband speed and bandwidth could be an issue when streaming internet radio straight of the internet, but most broadband connections will do it. It is less demanding than streaming video from the likes of BBC iPlayer.

When streaming content from a device on your own network Broadband speed and bandwidth is not an issue: it is not used.

Squeezebox is just one possible system for streaming.

In UK look at http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/, though you should always look around for the best prices.

blazh Guest

BAS-H,

if you're considering streaming and SqueezeBox there are some extras that greatly improve it's overall performance:
    - Paul Hynes Power Supply (already mentioned by denjo)
    - Paul Hynes Shunt Stunt Regulator for regulation of power to 74HCU04 chip
    - cutting out SMD inductors, terminate to 75 Ohm
    - replacing RCA with BNC connector

Those are modifications which were made on my SB and they significantly improved performance.

Total cost - around 350 GBP (without SB )

350GBP! For rather less than that you can use an external DAC. A standard Squeezebox will stream bit perfectly to a DAC via its optical output, so there is no point in upgrading digital streaming part of the box. The internal DAC is good but not great.

I use a Beresford Caiman - just one of many modestly priced DACs

http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

It will directly drive a power amp, gives you digital source switching and a simple analogue volume control.

---

The Squeezebox Classic is now only available second hand now. The Duet and the Touch are now on sale. I have heard it said the touch has a much better DAC - but it's 250GBP.

Read up on the Squeezebox forum

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

blazh Guest

Labarum,

I do use external DAC - it's a Matrix DAC by Synthesis (not Synthesis Audio).
    (Review at: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-710169/review)

I also have a Beresford DAC (not the Cayman but the first edition) at home but after initial wow effect I only found out it's really excellent value for the money but still can't quite compare with "big guns" on the market. So now I'm using it in my bedroom system with SB duetto, KamaBay amp and Shahinian Super Elf speakers.

But if someone is only starting or experimenting with streaming audio devices like SB, Beresford DAC is (in my opinion) choice No. 1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For those who are just starting their journey in Computer Audio,you will find this link very helpful:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/assets/dCS_G...uter_Audio.pdf

I learnt much from reading and re-reading the dcs primer.

Many thanks Labarum, blazh and denjo, much appreciated.

AukedeBoer Guest

I'm using the 'new' Quad Elite CDS since a few days. It's a huge upgrade from my 12 year old Denon DCD-1550. A lot of detail and a more open sound compared with the Denon (20 bit Lambda). I'm really very happy with the sound of the Quad Elite CDS > Passive Creek OBH-12 > Quad 306 (new components) > C7ES3 combination. Very natural and balanced.

Marantz CD 17ki - Marantz PM 14mkii ki - Harbeth HL5LE
    Lyngdorf CD 1 - Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 - Harbeth M40

Both excellent chains that don't need any upgrade!

No CDP anymore, but streaming audio, first with XBMC, later SB3 and separate {-}DAC, and since almost 3 years a Linn Akurate DS.

Meridian 508.24 coming out of SHL5s. Fits like a glove for me. I dread the day it keels over. *gulp*

GoldVit Guest

Default What CDP are you using

A couple of years ago I was using a Cyrus CD6 which was really nice. Then, thinking that I would use my iPod(and Wadia 170 iTransport)for music a lot more than I would, I invested in a Weiss DAC2. Absolutely outstanding with the iPod but unfortunately not at all compatible with the Cyrus. So now a conundrum. I really wanted to use the Weiss with a CD player. I chopped the Cyrus in and went for a 47Labs 4716 Transport. With top quality CD's this was a superb combination but I found with anything less it was just 'good'. With such a good CD player I also found I wasn't using my iPod so I took what was to me a big leap, got rid of the 47Labs and the Weiss and went for the Audio Research CD5. Just in case I should wish to use the iPod I also bought a Project DAC Box FL. I'm using the CD5 with an Audio Research VSi60 amplifier and a beautiful pair of SHL5's. Thoroughly enjoying the ride so far.......
    Regards,

GoldVit

I just wonder about Sugden CD players, the Amps usually get very good reviews, but when it comes to their CD:s it is impossible to find a review at all (at least I have not found one) Surely they can not be that bad if their amps get such good reviews. I suppose some of you out there uses Sugden CPP:s. What about the CD21SE since I have the A21SE.

just added a Marantz SA11S2 to my setup. Gosh, can't forgive myself for not getting a new CDP sooner. I have lost so much detail with the old CD63KI, CD8260, ...

Garbage in Garbage out? The SA11S2 have dug out so many details out of the Compact Disc media that made me dumb-founded.

with the new addition, My Harbeth speakers deliver performance that is ' better than ever...'

Default Audible Differences Among CDPs?

Do those on the HUG who believe that expensive cables do not produce an audible difference in the sound also believe the same about expensive CD players? I have a 1985ish Nakamichi Cd player, solid as a rock, but if I knew, speaking of solid, that there was solid evidence that a new CDP would produce an audible improvement in the sound -- in detail, reproduction of the highs, whatever -- then I might consider making a switch. But my skeptical side tells me, that apart from workmanship and reliability, CD players cannot be distinguished, reliably, even by golden ears.

Bruce

Hi Bruce. I'm objective and skeptical. I do not believe in expensive cables and can't tell them apart during demos. But CD players are different - some better or worse; others just different in character. My upgrade from Arcam Delta 70.2 to Arcam CD37 was almost as significant as swapping my speakers to Harbeth. I demoed three players around the £1K mark in my local shop and would have been confident telling them apart, double-blind.

(Same with amps. Some better or worse; some just different. Cables, stands, isolaters, mains cords, power conditioners - nah, you can keep 'em).
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

I've been lectured to on a couple of occasions by highly respected engineers who assured me that 'all CD players sound the same'. Also ' there can't be a difference as they are only counting digits, so they must be perfect'.

On both occasions it was only a matter of demo'ing two players side by side for a minute or two for them to take back their words. One of them also then bought a very expensive player from me.

It doesn't necessarily follow that a more expensive player is better though. There are some horrors and some excellent reasonably priced players. Also, that Nakamichi player might well still stnad up fpr itself. Best bet is to take it for a comparative demo to your dealer. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I use the NAIM cd5i mark 2 much to my satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    Do those on the HUG who believe that expensive cables do not produce an audible difference in the sound also believe the same about expensive CD players? I have a 1985ish Nakamichi Cd player, solid as a rock, but if I knew, speaking of solid, that there was solid evidence that a new CDP would produce an audible improvement in the sound -- in detail, reproduction of the highs, whatever -- then I might consider making a switch. But my skeptical side tells me, that apart from workmanship and reliability, CD players cannot be distinguished, reliably, even by golden ears.

Bruce
    Bruce, it could be your Nakamichi that is a great performer. Prior to the CDP purchase, i am skeptical toward CDP as Hifi Dave said. the famour quote " all CD player sound the same" but the Maranta SA11S2 changed my perception. nobody could convince me until i brought it home and hook it up.

Actually i was about to change a amplifier and even the speaker, by good fortune, I decided to bet 3 Grand on a CDP. Long story cut short, bring / demo a Marantz SA11S2 home and tell us what you hear (I am not affiliated with Marantz )

however i stand corrected on the changing of cables that it proves futile in performance

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast