Thread: Care of health. Love your body, respect yourself, fight cancer. Please read it!

Default Care of health. Love your body, respect yourself, fight cancer. Please read it!

Hi friends,

This isn't my opinion only, it's a true story with a fatal ending during last Christmas.

(We are in Summer 2009) - Johnny looked at me with the deepest sadness and despair I had ever seen in my life in a man's eyes. He said: "You know, Thano, I was in my early forties when I could have found the first signs and avoid this terror. Because it is Terror... The doctor helped me realise that it was a combination... Bloody smoking, eating fast food and all those "s...t", being nervous with everything that went wrong, drinking beer & vodka more than water..., No exercise, never, no check-ups... And here I am, on my last visit back home. I'll return to St. Leonards-on-sea next week, they say I have to start that chemo-therapy very soon. I think it has gone to the liver too... But I kept saying, what the hell, I have half a century ahead! I'll dance, go to France for vacation next summer with a new girlfriend, make some nice clips for Youtube!... (long pause)... I shouldn't have done this to myself! I completely forgot to care for my health"

Johnny was, in his lifetime, one of the most youthful, energetic, willing to live, travelling and revolutionary human beings I had met or knew. He was more than a friend, a brother I'd say... John Passed Away forever, feeling that his childish lack of health care punished him forever. And so it was... this is what I call horror...

Because you don't want to experience such a tragedy, because you don't smoke in a house with a baby, because you feel 10 years younger when exercising, because I can tolerate the smoke of your cigarette - BUT I CANNOT TOLERATE YOUR ABSENCE FROM MY LIFE, OR FROM LIFE ITSELF- PLEASE QUIT SMOKING, EAT FRUITS, EAT PROPERLY, EXERCISE YOURSELF! RESPECT YOUR HEALTH, YOUR BODY. RESPECT YOUR EARS. RESPECT YOUR HIGHEST WISH, TO LIVE LONG (AND LISTEN TO MUSIC!)...

I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable and probably out of this forum's usual talk and mood. But it must be understood that everyone of us can prevent damages in his health by taking some serious-yet simple- measures, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Because there's one thing worse than death itself... BEING IN DESPAIR WHILE LIVING! KNOWING THAT YOU WON'T MAKE IT!

My Harbethian Friends, please stop smoking (those of you who do so), please take more care of yourselves, your health, as we all happily enjoy our living communication. Johnny adored pop, rock and soundtrack music & films. He lived very close to Harbeth and was taken care - in his final months in life - from MacMillan foundation and St. Michaels Hospice in the East Sussex, U.K. He created and directed the following video (link), courageously even while loosing his last hope for surviving cancer. Watch it and imagine what a life lover he was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDiuH-WUKk

Thanks for your time in reading this message,
    Thanos

piersa Guest

Default Re: Care of health. Love your body, respect yourself, fight cancer. Please read it!

Hi Thanos

Firstly, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Time will not help you accept that he has gone but it will help you learn to live with it.

I am a Chiropractor and treat people with mechanical health issues all the time. Some people take their health seriously and some are happy, or to be more accurate, oblivious enough to ignore warning signs from healthcare professionals or from their own body. If you are ever unsure about a lump or bump, go to a medical professional, thats what they are there for!

I am new to this user group as I am new to the delights of Harbeth speakers. I acquired my first pair only last Christmas. They are the P3ESR speakers and wow, what a sound. I have been doing some comparing with other sound systems, that I have around my house and nothing even comes close. I have had friends round to listen to the caomparable sounds and they agree with me.

I like these speakers so much that I have sport on my TV with the sound turned down with music on through the speakers.

I would recommend them to anyone, they are worth every penny!

regards

Piers

Default Re: Care of health. Love your body, respect yourself, fight cancer. Please read it!

Thank You Piers,

I must say I'm impressed from the use of the word chiro-praktor! In Greek CHIRO (written ΧΕΙΡΟ) means manual. PRAKTOR (written ΠΡΑΚΤΩΡ) means the one who acts using his hands. So, ΧΕΙΡΟ-ΠΡΑΚΤΩΡ means the one who acts (in certain ways) through his hands! He uses his hands to feel & cure, to create something through his hands that would otherwise be created through machines or other artificial means.

Now, the small Harbeths....ahhhh, I'm about to get rid of an old Sony compact mini system in my bedroom, and then get them. Because I've listened to them and I'm still speechless...In order to save space for the newbies, I'll try to find a small sized quality combo (cdp+tuner+amp) to connect them on. Any suggestions from friends in the site will be more than welcome. I know and love English sound and tradition in design & craftsmanship, so that will be the first ground to search, no matter which company. I guess there must be quite some brands who do so in U.K. aren't there?

In my main system I work with the SHL5s. They are the love of my ears & soul!

Thanks again,
    Best regards,
    Thanos

piersa Guest

Hi Thanos

Indeed, treatment by hand, thats what I do. Its nice to help people where I can.

Those Harbeths are simply sensational, as you well know. I have mine wired through a Yamaha receiver and wired up to s Samsung 46 inch LED tv which is digital sound. Soooooooooooo crisp, the sounds is fantastic through the P3ESR.

I have been into many hifi shops in my time but no speakers come close to these for size and clarity and the bass from the for there size is also impressive.

love them.

take care Thanos and remember, time will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    ... I'm about to get rid of an old Sony compact mini system in my bedroom, and then get them. Because I've listened to them and I'm still speechless...In order to save space for the newbies, I'll try to find a small sized quality combo (cdp+tuner+amp) to connect them on. Any suggestions from friends in the site will be more than welcome. ...

Thanks again,
    Best regards,
    Thanos
    Hi Thanos:

It's not from the UK (though the casework was designed by a UK industrial designer, Kenneth Grange), but I have been very happy with my Aura Note system for the past couple of years. It's made by a company called April Music (based in Korea) and has CD, tuner, amp and USB connectivity all in one box. It looks and sounds good, and you can even use it as an alarm clock if you want to wake up to your favourite CD.

A couple of other machines in this category to look at would be the Arcam Solo and the Naim Uniti. Both are UK brands and I'm pretty sure are built there as well.

Best of luck,
    Eric

And, by the way,

Although it sounds a bit out of this thread's spirit, I would be obliged, all of us I 'd like to believe, to hear some expert opinions on HOW THE SMOKE OF CIGARETTES EFFECTS SPEAKERS AND THE REST OF OUR COMPONENTS.
    I think Alan Shaw has the very first priority on providing info for this, being always very aware about long life and trouble free use of them all, especially of the speakers that are made -in a large degree- from living materials.
    Alan, We would be very glad to receive your comments,

Thank You,
    Thanos

Default Identifying cancerous cells - help someone today

Cancer Research UK invite you to view and then classify irregular cells in real samples. A few minutes of your time could make a difference to someone's life.

"Smoking is the single biggest preventable cause of cancer and kills half of all long-term smokers.

More than three million people have been admitted to hospital with a smoking-related disease since the last anti-smoking campaign in the UK in 2004 - over 1,000 people per day

Default Diet - and the health body. Too much time at home?

Here, apparently, is a picture of robust good health according to their interpretation of what the doctor told them.

Here.

A warning to audiophiles who snack whilst they listen?

More tips? Here. Whatever she says, must be true.

Default Cigarette smoke particles

If you have ever cleaned a car boot sale LP that was in a smokers collection with a vacuum RCM you can see how the microscopic particles from cigarette smoke end up in the grooves.

No doubt about how passive smoking affects others, if it can drift into the grooves of the LP it certainly gets into non smokers lungs if they are exposed to cigarette smoke.