Thread: Question about HLP3-ES2 and M20

Jodet Guest

Default Question about HLP3-ES2 and M20

I've seen the M20 on the web and wondered, what is the difference between that an an HLP3-ES2?

They look like pretty much the same speaker....is it just a different label?

Thanks for any info...

Frihed89 Guest

Default Pro Audio

I can't answer your question. I asked the same question on the old forum. Same answer.

I think Harbeth sells these exclusively to studios, maybe just BBC.

Not too sure.
    But I can find a pair of silver signature of M20 in HK. Maybe just the silver signature version.

dennon Guest

Default Re: Pro Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
    I can't answer your question. I asked the same question on the old forum. Same answer.

I think Harbeth sells these exclusively to studios, maybe just BBC.
    I am a new member from Australia (Unfortunately down here we don't really have a consistent distributer so it is very difficult for us to physically look at and hear the difference between the models.) and joined this forum to try and gather this very information. The HLP3-ES2 does seem by it's appearance to be the same as the Monitor 20 domestic, but if this is so why would there be two separate models? The pro Monitor 20 ( I have seen this for sale to the public from a pro audio dealer) outwardly looks to differ only in that it has plain black paint finish rather than the pretty veneers of the domestic models as well a different input on the back (possibly looks like a cannon/XLR type from the small low res' picture I viewed on the internet) but this as far as my knowledge extends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dennon Guest

Default Re: Pro Audio

Quote Originally Posted by dennon View Post
    I am a new member from Australia (Unfortunately down here we don't really have a consistent distributer so it is very difficult for us to physically look at and hear the difference between the models.) and joined this forum to try and gather this very information. The HLP3-ES2 does seem by it's appearance to be the same as the Monitor 20 domestic, but if this is so why would there be two separate models? The pro Monitor 20 ( I have seen this for sale to the public from a pro audio dealer) outwardly looks to differ only in that it has plain black paint finish rather than the pretty veneers of the domestic models as well a different input on the back (possibly looks like a cannon/XLR type from the small low res' picture I viewed on the internet) but this as far as my knowledge extends. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By "for sale to the public" I mean to private studios that aren't just the BBC.

Frihed89 Guest

Default Re: Question about HLP3-ES2 and M20

Look back at earlier threads and you can read the answer given by AS. If you are interested in LS3/5A types, there is Harbeth, Spendor and Stirling Broadcast making "versions" of the original. All of them sound differently, although the differences are not large...but large enough to be more/less attractive depending on your preferences. Harbeth has reworked their speaker the most, Stirling the least. You can still buy used LS3/5As on Ebay from time to time for about ?1000. Forget about the sonic differences between the M20 and the HLP3 and concentrate on listening to all 3 of the current "son of the LS3/5A" models.

To my ears the M30 is the best-sounding of the BBC legacy. Don't count that one out.

Finally, there are a lot of people who are advocating excessive horsepower for speakers. If you listen to very dynamic music in a large room, you need more power than if you listen in a 3 x 3m room, and that extra power will help you through about 10% of the passages.

The LS3/5A was designed to be listened to in the near field in tight quarters. The modern versions also sound best in tight quarters unless you have everything worked out perfectly with your room acoustics, which most of us do not.