Thread: Interesting blog post on digital cables and double-blind testing

Default Interesting blog post on digital cables and double-blind testing

I came across this post which I thought was a very good read: http://www.avguide.com/blog/guest-bl...g?src=Playback

Also, this is the link he refers to regarding speaker cable testing (with actual speaker loads):

http://www.audiodesignline.com/howto...leID=201807390

The author expresses reservations about double-blind testing and support for the idea that digital cables might make a difference to the sound. Agree or disagree, I thought it was an intelligently-written piece. Here are his conclusions:

- Don't be too quick to think you understand everything significant about the role of any part of an audio system. The fundamental scientific attitude is curious and appropriately skeptical, not judgmental.

- Claims of audible differences in components must also be subjected to both curiosity and skepticism. Could there really be a phenomenon creating an audible difference? Think creatively - what could that phenomenon be, how would we identify and measure it? Is that phenomenon significant enough to be audible?

- Remember what Bob Stuart says: we don't yet know enough about how we hear and listen to rely solely on measurements. Listening is the final, most important test.

- When presented with information or claims you don’t understand, don't rush to judgment and accuse other people of credulous idiocy. It's both unseemly, and very unscientific.

Default US1 Million if he can prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    I........
    The author expresses reservations about double-blind testing and support for the idea that digital cables might make a difference to the sound. Agree or disagree, I thought it was an intelligently-written piece. Here are his conclusions:'''''.

Here

and also this interesting XXXX Cable Chickens Out of $1,000,000 Challenge,

Default Re: Interesting blog post on digital cables and double-blind testing

Interesting, although you could also read that as Randi chickening out of having to risk his $1 million. Who knows what happened, really.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Interesting, although you could also read that as Randi chickening out of having to risk his $1 million. Who knows what happened, really.
    Thanks everybody for your interesting points, here's another one...

In my fantasy, I called Jascha Heifetz to play for me the "Hora Staccato" or a Paganini's "capprizio".
    I gave him two violins. A geniuene Stradivari and a decent common one by a decent common shop, that sells to hundreds of students that study music. No famous brand...just decent. And they were both properly tuned by the performer.

My point is: Why did I do this for? To find out why a Strad would cost a hundred or a thousand times up the price of the common instrument?
    Would this ever change the unique value of such a performer, or of such a musical composition? Both themes are of exceptional charm and brio. Heifetz was probably the greatest violinist within the 20th century.
    Neither Heifetz, nor Paganini's theme would fail to thrill millions of music lovers due to the violin's price, or even its sound delicate color difference...me being also one of those millions.
    What is different, is that I cannot buy a Strad, and so does the vast majority of peoples on this planet.

If you concentrate on such issues, you might very well miss the essence. And the essence, every essence, is -as a rule- NOT a matter of price. Every single soul has his/hers affordability margin for buying/reaching this essence, which is the music itself and the interpreter's personal seal.
    Those who try to draw our attention -in order to "protect" or "improve" something- to such issues and comparisons, should reconsider that the whole thing might turn to become ridiculous.

Just some thoughts,
    Thanos

It's a very good point, Thanos. But where to draw the line? After all, you appreciate your Harbeths, while some would say you could be happy with speakers at one-tenth the price.

I think it's legitimate to have an interest in these things, as long as one doesn't get neurotic about it. As you say, it's about the music first and foremost.

Incidentally, I am currently reading a very good book on addictive behaviour - In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, by Dr. Gabor Mate - and it occurs to me that many hard-core audiophiles could well be classified as a kind of addict, always seeking the high of the next hit/purchase, but never satisfied.

Where to draw the line? - Does the music sound real ie live.Does it ellicit an emotional response?
    "No Man an Island" - John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by nicedoc441 View Post
    Where to draw the line? - Does the music sound real ie live.Does it ellicit an emotional response?
    That's the name of the game. The question is, what gets you there?