Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: M40 vs M40.1

audio39 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Hi Rick, you are not only getting acquainted with the big guys but also getting acquainted with your music again. )
    That is the fact!

audio39 Guest

Default Update Luxman M-05 + 40s (prefer 40 bass to 40.1 bass)

OK, the Luxman M-05 is finally finished and home, and I've just received my new stands...things are coming together nicely.

I ended up purchasing 4 post Sound Anchor stands. I purchased and quickly sold a pair of used Foundation stands...I didn't like them at all, the bass performance was less then stellar with those stands under the 40's. I didn't proceed with the custom stands, the cost was prohibitive.

My initial impression with the Sound Anchor stands exceeds positive, these stands make a big difference. I immediately realized improved bass performance, with all else being mostly equal I'm also happy to report the SA's look awesome under the 40's.

My Luxman M-05 is a very nice match with the 40's, from top to bottom I'm extremely pleased.

I wound up purchasing an Ortofon HMC 30 LOMC cartridge, I found my vinyl frontend a bit too laid back for the 40's, the Ortofon could be described as anti-laid_back, so it was a good move.

The opportunity to compare the 40.1's directly with my 40's was never realized, but I will report that after numerous listening sessions with the 40.1's I do prefer the bass from my 40's. Overall they are both excellent speakers, but I'm not convinced the upgrade is an overall improvement...I suppose that's really a compliment to Harbeth either way you look at it.

When I finally get everything in it's final resting place I will post further pics, I will also update specific to speaker AND system performance...but I love these speakers!

Rick.

{Moderators comments: Noted that you prefer the bass on the M40 to the M401. This surely proves two things - bass is personal and the room makes all the difference and is far outside Harbeth's ability to control.}

audio39 Guest

Default Win win with M40 or 40.1

Quote Originally Posted by audio39 View Post
    {Moderators comments: Noted that you prefer the bass on the M40 to the M401. This surely proves two things - bass is personal and the room makes all the difference and is far outside Harbeth's ability to control.}
    I would include that the amp/speaker match is of great importance.

The system in which I have heard the M40.1's numerous times has a pair of Pass XA 100.5 monoblocks, nice amps, liquid almost, but I don't find that they can control the large 12" driver in the M40(.1)'s.

Again though, either way, from a consumers perspective it's a win win...buy a used pair of M40's and you get world class performance, buy a new pair of M40.1's and you get world class performance.

Rick.

Default Bass and Tone Controls - reference recordings?

Bass is one area that I find so difficult to put a standard. Every now and then, I find that for some tracks the bass is just right but for others the was either to much or too little. Even placing the speaker for a flat frequency respond in the music room still there seems to be no one answer to what should be the correct bass.

The very first amplifier designers were probably right to include tone and bass control in their amplifiers. Now, we have to go through myriad of accessories such as cables, power conditioners, bass trap and others to have the same control that once was provided by the bass and tone control.

Maybe, Harbeth could put a suitable recording with bass content and provide a guide how to accurately set up the speakers.

ST

audio39 Guest

Default Sound Anchors - serious improvement over Foundation stands

Spent a few more hours fiddling with the placement and toe in of my 40's on the Sound Anchors.

Since placing the 40's on the SA's I have noticed changes in the sound that I wasn't expecting. I have moved the speakers a little further into the room and away from the back wall, I have moved them a little further apart, and I now have the toe in where I can just see the back corner of the speaker. I used to show about 2 inches of the back of the speaker, but since putting the 40's on the SA's I find this new resting spot better.

So the obvious improvements...the bass is more "solid" and far less round. Drum beats are very real, very substantial. I'm also noticing things in the music, and music that I listen to frequently, that I have never noticed before. Separation of instruments and vocals is quite amazing.

Compared to the Foundation stands these SA'a are a serious improvement...the Foundation's did not improve the bass in the way I have described...in fact they were a step back from the home made stands I was using. They also didn't have the visual impact the SA's do, these stands are substantial and together with the 40's resting atop there is a visual synergy that makes you believe they were manufactured together - rather than from 2 manufacturers.

Obviously I'm very pleased. I'll continue tweaking the position as I move forward, but damn these things are heavy.

Rick.

Default Stand height

Hi Rick, May I ask what height S.A. stands you purchased? -Frank-

Default Height

They are 14"

Default Stand height?

Quote Originally Posted by Groovetracer View Post
    Hi Rick, May I ask what height S.A. stands you purchased? -Frank-
    The Sound Anchor stands are 14" tall.

Default Taller stands

Getting back to the differences between the M40 and the M40.1, Robert Green (REG) has discussed this a bit on his forum (regonaudio.com), since he owns and uses the M40s and has heard the M40.1s. One thing he would point out, I believe, is that if you are using EQ, you should be able to get either one to sound very much like the other. I would suggest (I do have the M40s) that if you find any problems with the bass reproduction in your room, you may want to try higher stands. The ones I use are 24".

Default M40s - no sub needed

Man Cave.jpg

I'm extremely pleased with the bass production from my M40's, I've never felt the need for a sub.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234