Thread: Progress of New Harbeth Centre Speaker?

Default Progress of New Harbeth Centre Speaker?

Alan,

How is your work on the Harbeth centre speaker?
    I am really waiting the birth of your centre speaker and match with my M40 for building up a Harbeth AV system.

Ken Wong

Quote Originally Posted by kckwong723 View Post
    Alan,

How is your work on the Harbetn centre speaker?
    I am really waiting the birth of your centre speaker and match with my M40 for building up a Harbeth AV system.

Ken Wong
    harbeth's design is more toward listening music than home theater system...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by aawcy View Post
    harbeth's design is more toward listening music than home theater system...IMO
    In fact, I am now using M40 to watch movie without centre speaker. Its performance in movie and video concert is excellent.
    However, it's hard to find a centre speaker to match with M40. If Harbeth centre speaker will not come out, I may consider to use a single M30 as centre speaker but I need to find another person to share the pair of M30 with me.

Default The Centre Channel - you create the design brief yourselves

Sorry but I've been rather busy for a week or so in Hong Kong. Now returning to the UK seems unlikely thanks to the Icelandic volcano* ... just a well that I enjoy Chinese food - and company too.

OK, the truth is that the design has been sketched out but is hampered by two things -

1. Nobody (sadly including enthusiastic distributors who have talked-up the centre channel concept) have actually been able to give me a basic specification (size, drivers, how to mount) without whick I just can't see a clear way to get ahed with the design
    2. As mentioned elsewhere, this year is 'consolidation year'. I've been running fast for so long I need to recapitulate before moving forward. The document archive is progressively being scanned, made searchable and shreaded - 7500 sheets so far.

If you, discussing amongst yourselves as my eyes and ears can hammer out a specification for the CT speaker I'd be most appreciative - then I can make a start. Over to you - consumer democracy in action. Where better than here?

*BTW, with Chinese friends here last night discussing the said volcano, I reminded them of the (near) Accident Report from 1982 of BA flight 009 and the immortal words of Captain Moody. We collectively laughed until we cried at the understated announcement made by Captain Moody about the "small problem" and the sheer professionalism of the British pilot and crew in what would have been a terrifying situation. I don't know about you, but when I step onto an aircraft I always take a peek at the engines and since that time have felt mightily reassured when I see the RR logo plate as in all/most BA, Cathay and Virgin aircraft. Story here. As the writer notes, that attitude is indeed the backbone of the Empire!

P.S. Now I recall reading the full Incident Report some years ago, I should remind you of the unsung hero of the story: training and procedure. The first officer was trained to refer to the written instruction manual of how to restart a flame-out engine in flight (an exact sequence of switch and button operations) and despite the nil response he continued to perform this sequence innumerable times. The eventual reignition was a direct result of following the carefully prepared rule-books written by the Rolls Royce engine designers: aircraft engines do not just restart themselves.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

As a son of a Spitfire pilot, during the 1944-1954 era, I have to say that the RR engines are, were and -hopefully- will always be the British Pride of the skies... He always performed a personal -see & touch- check around the aircraft before flight. He said pilots should always do this, it's like having the last look at your tie in the mirror, before going out to the ball... No one else can do it like yourself...

As for a center speaker/channel, I want to remind to everybody that the theoretically perfect sound reproduction should come out from a single box with a single driver. I am very reluctant -generally speaking- to accept all this story about home theatre, multi speaker arrangements, etc., etc. I do consider it as being more of a commercial issue trick, than a scientifically based concept. Anyway, if international demand wants so, it's like a one way trip.

Cheers,
    Thanos
    Last edited by Thanos; 17-04-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling

I - we - in the free world, no better place exhibited than here, salute your father and your countrymen.

Alan - in Hong Kong forever? Yippee! Actually I'm really pleased to be here indefinitely because of the Icelandic volcano. But what a shocking indictment of the customer service department of Virgin Atlantic who made not the slightest effort to text me to tell my flight was cancelled and who I checked yesterday had my correct mobile number. Worse, having trekked over to the airport I'm handed a piece of paper inviting me to call the reservations department in HK for more information. It's 5pm and being a Saturday, their office closes at 1pm. Disgraceful - and undoes in my mind some thirty years of brand building on their part. I'll be droping a lone to Sir Richard's well staffed complaints department next week.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Thank You so much! My father passed away rather young, being 64, back in 1989... Well, he adored the "Brit way", so do I. For our dear Alan, while waiting, kindly allow me to bring some memories and History alive, through restored Spitfires in the U.K., together with the unforgettable voice of Vera Lynn. I found this clip simply wonderful.
    And, not forgetting our everlasting love for Harbeth, I do reconsider getting a HT system -from Harbeth of course- just to watch & listen such wonderful videos!
    Enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

Cheers,
    Thanos

Here's an interesting Wikipedia entry on another example of pilot coolness under pressure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

There's also a lisiting at the end of the entry on similar incidents, which includes the 1982 British Airways incident caused by volcanic ash.

On the issue of a centre channel speaker: personally, I doubt I'll ever use a centre channel speaker, so it's not a matter of great personal interest. But what about creating three models of a centre channel speaker, each using one of the Radial woofers already produced: the 5", the 6.5" and the 8", flanked by a tweeter at either end (rather than the common two woofer single tweeter layout). That way, whichever Harbeth you want to build your surround system around, you have the corresponding centre.

Default Spitfires in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    ... kindly allow me to bring some memories and History alive, through restored Spitfires in the U.K.
    What a wonderful clip. And here I am, in my Hong Kong hotel unable to fly to the UK due to the volcano problem watching a movie about our beloved Spitfire against a decidedly English (as opposed to British) countryside. Perfect irony!

Actually, there is an aeronautical museum an hour or so from us and I must make a return trip there to have a look at what I recall is their light-blue Spitfire prototype. I'll take some pictures (if they are allowed) for you. Also, every year a country house/garden a mile or two from us holds an open air concert which features a solo Spitfire swooping and turning - clearly visible from our home. Details here. I'm not sure what our holiday plans are this year (none arranged so far) but if you are in the UK at that time, allow me to treat you to the show.

Whatever you do, please don't tell our Greek importer how much I enjoy his company (because it's already impossible to keep up with his rather short-term planning), but for a dinner conversation in Athens that ranges from Socrates through Plato, Ouzo, olive growers EC grants, the complexities of politics and women, Greek expressions, music and culture, human nature (especially that!) and a million others (and not a whisper about hi-fi equipment) Pandelis is your man!

P.S. I found the local museum's Spitfire. It's a full size replica of the original prototype details here.

Back to the Centre Channel subject: I really can't make a start on this until I have some feedback - especially concerning physical size and how and where it sits relative to the TV. When we were using big CRT sets, the size and position of the CT speaker was clearly defined - but now, with super-thin TVs the whole specification is up in the air. I just haven't the energy to devote time to an ill-defined product.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

I shall pay tribute both to vintage aviation and the Harbeth factory & team whenever I'll be there, this or next year, and I do thank you for your kind invitation!
    I wish the Greeks had the same respect & affection with preserving and honoring their History and tradition, just like the British do... It isn't only a matter of museums and restored historical machines. It's a matter mainly concerning a nation's consciousness that flowers to or from pride... Then, we would be a much much better country...
    My warmest regards,
    Thanos