Thread: Cartridge recommendation

Default Cartridge recommendation

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I broke the stylus of my Dynavectror DV20X yesterday night. A slight and surprinsing rebound done this. Kaput! The cartridge was at half-life. Retiping cost $600 US...

I listen to a lot of types of music and I want a neutral and well balance cartridge. I already try Audio-Technica and Ortofon. Now Dynavector, which I really like. My phono pre-amp can accomodate almost any cartridge on earth and my tonarm is a Rega RB300. I have a preferance for the moving-coil low outpout. Finally, I have a budget of $1000 US.

What are your recommendation?

Sebastien

Lyra Dorian or ZYX R50. Both work really well in the RB300.

A friend of mine have the Lyra Dorian since last month and really likes it.

I'm also considering these cartridges:

-Shelter 501 II
    -Benz Ace SL
    -Ortofon Blue Rondo Bronze
    -Dynavector DV20X (a new one)

Sebastien

Finally, as I want do to things right and quick (I mostly listen to vinyl), I decide to get an other Dynavector DV20X. The exchange was $600 and chance is fallowing me, my retailer has 20% on all in store and one Dynavector DV20X was still available. I total, I had 45% off on the cartridge. Good deal.

Maybe in two years I'll try another cartridge but I must say that I'm was satisfied with the Dynavector. A true neutral and balance cartridge. Nothing exuberant but everything to enjoy. It seems also that on a cheaper budget, the Dynavector 10X5 shows the way.

Sebastien

Wait for a used Dynavector XX2 MKII to come up for sale. I like it even more than the Te kaitora rua and find it gets you a big taste of the XV1-S

For sure, I'll be curious to hear an other Dynavector cartridge but like I said above, I already buy my new one.

Sebastien

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    For sure, I'll be curious to hear an other Dynavector cartridge but like I said above, I already buy my new one.

Sebastien
    Didnt see that. You ended up with a great cartridge for great price!

Hi there,

I am currently a Dynavector XX-2 mkII user. I have also used a Shelter 501mkII and find that the XX-2 is a better match. The Shelter has a very lush sound and find the XX-2 to be more neutral and dynamic. XX-2 also has a very impressive tracking ability. Overall, I am extremely happy with it.

Ohhh... I also use a Luxman amp. Excellent match! Deep bass, heavenly mids and smooth extended treble. I have nothing to complain with this cartridge.

I would also be much happier if someone donates an XV1-s to me.

Quote Originally Posted by do_Ob View Post
    Hi there,

I am currently a Dynavector XX-2 mkII user. I have also used a Shelter 501mkII and find that the XX-2 is a better match. The Shelter has a very lush sound and find the XX-2 to be more neutral and dynamic. XX-2 also has a very impressive tracking ability. Overall, I am extremely happy with it.

Ohhh... I also use a Luxman amp. Excellent match! Deep bass, heavenly mids and smooth extended treble. I have nothing to complain with this cartridge.

I would also be much happier if someone donates an XV1-s to me.
    When you find the person donating the XV1-s cartridges. Could you please let me know how to get in touch with them. ;)

You said you wanted a neutral cartridge and yet bought a 20X????? It's juicy and funky in presentation, but neutral it aint i'm afraid.. The 17D3 is much more truthful in my opinion, as is the ATOC9, which sounds great with the warm, sweet tones of a Harbeth, or any other "BBC Legacy" style speaker.

What's the turntable, but the way?

Quote Originally Posted by DSRANCE View Post
    You said you wanted a neutral cartridge and yet bought a 20X????? It's juicy and funky in presentation, but neutral it aint i'm afraid.. The 17D3 is much more truthful in my opinion, as is the ATOC9, which sounds great with the warm, sweet tones of a Harbeth, or any other "BBC Legacy" style speaker.

Funny how taste and judgement differ. I have all three cartridges: the 20X, 17D, and XX-2. I like the XX-2 best but listen mostly to the 20X for ordinary purposes since I can't afford another XX-2 when this one comes to the end of its life. I've never liked the 17D. It's the one that to my ears at least is unbalanced or coloured, in favour of the upper ranges. And I've used all three on different arms and turntables: Linn LP 12 and Akito and Hadcock 242 arms; Thorens 124 and 125 with SME 3009 and 3012, Hadcock and SAEC arms. The speakers are, of course, Harbeth. I suppose one should always listen for oneself. Only you have access to your own ears. It reminds me of a joke I waited years to be able to pull off. After a heavy night someone needs to say to you: "Boy, your eyes look terrible!" To which you reply "You should see them from where I'm standing..." It only happens once in lifetime.

Ciao

David

Quote Originally Posted by DSRANCE View Post

Hi DSRANCE,

I've just realize that maybe this post was directed to me. Was it?

Sebastien