Thread: Need Advise For CD player and RCA cable

Tran Khoa Guest

Default Need Advise For CD player and RCA cable

Hi

I just Ordered the SHL5 with the Rouge Cronus Magmun int. Amp. they will be my first audio system. What i need now is a CD player and RCA cable that conect the CD to my amp. What is the best CD players under 1200$ and RCA under 200$ ?

I hear a lot of comment about Apollo Rega, Nain, Benchemark... But... dont know more.. and dont know what is best. I'm new to the music lover since 1-2 month.

Thank in Advance

Default CD Player with reliable parts supply.

Hi Tran,
    Welcome to the club. I would suggest, get a CD player from an established manufacturer rather than a boutique player. I bought a so called High End transport and DAC which was supposed to be upgradeable. Now, the company is telling they can't upgrade because they are not in possession of the original circuit diagrams and the people who worked on them are no longer with them. They can't even advise us on service.

I would suggest you to get a player from one of the major players in consumer and professional audio ( Sony, Philips, Denon, Marantz and a few more). Find out more about the transport mechanism that is being used. Are they using the current model that are still in production. Talk to your service technician whether parts will be an issue in say 3 years time (i.e the warranty period of good professional products). At least, you are assured of parts for a long time to come and you can get it serviced within your country. And the good news is, your CD players comes with RCA cables. No manufacturer would make a CD player and provide you with an inferior cables that impedes the sound of their CD player and no cables can improve a CD player.

So, now you got extra $200 for more CDs or LPs.

ST

Since you live in Canada, there is a great company, Simaudio, were you can look at for your new cd player. Their products are well distributed in Canada and all around the world. Some models will fit your budget. Plus, they offer 10 years warranty on their products.

Around this price point, there is also the Cambridge 840C. Like Harbeth, this product seems to be one of the fews to gets almost only good reviews from everyone, customer first.

Enjoy your new set-up,

Sebastien

Quote Originally Posted by STHLS5 View Post
    Hi Tran,
    Welcome to the club. I would suggest, get a CD player from an established manufacturer rather than a boutique player. I bought a so called High End transport and DAC which was supposed to be upgradeable. Now, the company is telling they can't upgrade because they are not in possession of the original circuit diagrams and the people who worked on them are no longer with them. They can't even advise us on service.

I would suggest you to get a player from one of the major players in consumer and professional audio ( Sony, Philips, Denon, Marantz and a few more). Find out more about the transport mechanism that is being used. Are they using the current model that are still in production. Talk to your service technician whether parts will be an issue in say 3 years time (i.e the warranty period of good professional products). At least, you are assured of parts for a long time to come and you can get it serviced within your country. And the good news is, your CD players comes with RCA cables. No manufacturer would make a CD player and provide you with an inferior cables that impedes the sound of their CD player and no cables can improve a CD player.

So, now you got extra $200 for more CDs or LPs.

ST
    Hi Tran,
    Very true and I agree totally with ST.
    Keep in mind that all major companies have to prove themselves in the most demanding and difficult battlefield, which is the low cost components. The vast international sales do not forgive problematic or poorly designed machines, that could ruin a whole company and its brand reputation. More than 90% of the world buys low budget. There is where most technological advance is gone, so you can't go wrong with bestsellers. The cd players are the weak part of a stereo, because from the cheapest to the most expensive the distance inbetween the sound quality is ridiculous comparing with the distance between prices, which cannot be excused, by all means.
    So, do what ST proposes and you'll be rewarded!
    Best Regards from Athens,
    Thanos

Not sure how these fit in your budget but three excellent players from established companies I would definitely recommend are the Rega Saturn and the Naim CD51 or CD5x. Sonically they punch well above their weight, are well thought out, beautifully put together and the backup is impeccable should you need it.

Tran Khoa Guest

thank you guys.... i was wondering how about DAC??

Depends on budget again but Rega will be introducing a DAC very soon. Initial listening sessions promise a great sound for little outlay - around 400-500 I believe.

macraddy Guest

I read a lot about reliability issues with the current crop of Rega machines. (Satrun and Apollo.) Have these now been ironed out? Sonically they’re very nice of course – certainly no questions there!

I guess you heard about these 'reliability issues' from a Forum or a non Rega dealer ?

I have sold many Rega CD players over the years and have yet to have one faulty or go faulty. Rega products are exceptionally well thought out and built so they are reliable and robust. In the unlikely event of a fault developing, their backup is second to none.

I'm using a Rega Apollo CD player with an Harman Kardon HK990 amplifier and Super HL5'S and it sounds superb to my old ears. The rega is connected to the amplifier with a Kimber cable interconnect and from amplifier to HL5's, Kimber cable again.

Geoff.

macraddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I guess you heard about these 'reliability issues' from a Forum or a non Rega dealer ?

I have sold many Rega CD players over the years and have yet to have one faulty or go faulty. Rega products are exceptionally well thought out and built so they are reliable and robust. In the unlikely event of a fault developing, their backup is second to none.
    My question was a legitimate one. From memory there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of machines with ‘initialising’ issues. They were excellent at sorting the problem out but weren’t keen to admit that there was an issue. I remember reading a release from Rega on the subject. I assume it was a simple firmware update? I heard this from a Rega dealer and discussed it with two other dealers in the area, who confirmed that they’d had issues with the early machines.

If that was the case I certainly have not heard of it. I have had no problems whatsoever, though the initialising time can seem strange when you are used to speedier machines. However, such considerations are soon forgotten when you hear the sound quality available from the Apollo and Saturn.

Unfortunately, Rega and Naim are two very successful British companies which attract more than their share of criticism on Forums and from (non Rega) dealers who should know better. It is petty jealousy and ill informed spite and should be disregarded.

macraddy Guest

I’ve owned Rega kit and enjoyed it very much. (Just a P3). I’ve heard the Apollo and Saturn and several of their integrated amps over the years. All excelent per se and excellent value too IMO. I’m a big fan to say the least!

(The Kites were a bit bright for me though!)

Tran Khoa Guest

thank again guys. ...i will look for Rega, Nain, and Bryston for Cd or Dac

I know the Naim and Rega players are good, but if your budget will stretch to a Bryston that's what I'd buy, if for no other reason than it's local (i.e. Canadian) and can therefore more easily be serviced (if necessary) than a UK-built product. Naim and Rega may offer good aftercare but it's one thing if you're in the UK and another if you're in North America. I think Sebastien's recommendation of the Simaudio player is also worth considering, in part for the same reason.