Thread: Taking Care Of Your Harbeth

Default Taking Care Of Your Harbeth

All of us spend a good amount of money on our precious brand new Harbeth(s) speakers. The speakers arrived in perfect condition on the first day. How do you maintain the finish of your speakers to be as new as the day you start owning them, making sure it doesn't even have a slightest scratch? How do you avoid anyone touching it without hurting their feelings? Just wondering...

I bought a pair of SHL5's a short time ago. When my 4 year old hyperactive grandson came to visit me recently I put the speakers in another room and shut the door. LOL.

Geoff.

I got a delicated room for my self. I locked the door when I not at home. I use air blower and women makeup brush to clean the radial cone. Also use vaccum to clean the cabinet surface with help of the brush as well. Beside that, I avoid touching the cone and the cabinet by bare hand. No one can enter my room without my permisson. Not only my Harbeth, I treated all my Hifi gears: cdp, amp, CDs, LP etc with care and love too
    "Bath in Music"

Default A big, fat soft makeup brush - ideal for cone cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    I use air blower and women makeup brush to clean the radial cone.
    Very good idea indeed. That should be the standard recommended way of de-dusting your RADIAL cones.
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Keith, this is seriously a very good tip from you! Thanks!

chowyeung Guest

I'm more worried about bugs and insects than human hands. Any advice?

Pest control might be the answer. Maybe you can pre-treat your future house before you move in.

Quote Originally Posted by chowyeung View Post
    worried about bugs and insects
    Bugs and insects don't seem to like vibration too much, so if you use the speakers often, that should keep them away. Think your speaker doesn't have ports? That also lessens anything getting in there if the grilles are kept on. The bigger culprit is UV as they damage the rubber surrounds, moisture or an extremely dry environment.

Tried cleaning the upper surface with a Nagaoka record player roller last night, seems to work :-)

Yes i also use the blusher brush to brush away all dust on the radial driver. The very fine bristles of the brush ensures that it will not scratch the cone surface while maintaining the shine on it. In addition, i sometimes use a small manual dust blower (similar to those used by watch repairers) to blow dust away from the shiny cone.