Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk View Post
    I read Kimber name in this thread..I think this link is useful.

http://sites.google.com/site/isthist...ff/kimberkable
    Yes, it is very useful info. Fakes' "industry" has gone too far... Drdennis is quite right!

Wow, this is indeed an eye opener! I wonder how many other well known brands are victims of fraudulent fakes! I know that Oyaide also has counterfeits! It is scary how closely the fakes resemble the real McCoys and unless you knew the tell-tale signs, it would well nigh be quite impossible to distinguish one form the other!

Red face

Don't they all sound the same anywayhttp://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/images/icons/icon11.png

Davef Guest

Question Harbeth 7ES-3 with QED Cable

I am English, from Coventry originally, now living in US - I have just purchased my first pair of Harbeth Speakers (7ES-3). I think I have narrowed speakers down to QED! I would love an opinion on a couple of choices:

QED Silver Anniversary, QED Revelation or basic QED 79 Strand Classic?
    The will be connected to a Leben 300XS or maybe my Nain XS sometimes!

Thanks,

DF

Post Speaker cable? Listen to Alan's advice

Congratulations on your C7s. I used to have a Leben CS300XS too. Must be a great combination. You ask about QED speaker cable, have you looked through the HUG for advice? Alan Shaw's opinion is stated often around the site. Here is a quote from him regarding cable for Harbeths...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6. Harbeth speakers do not need fancy cable. Anything available that is reasonably thick will work OK. QED 79 strand (see attached picture) or 5A electrical flex will get you going. Simple, un-cool standard flex is all you need. Avoid exotic cables with strange electrical characteristics.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my own careful reading of Alan's postings, I can gather that he (as the designer) does not consider any improvements to be possible from fancy cables. If they could improve the sound he would know and say so, wouldn't he?

I use Kimber 4PR and that is likely my final cable, I won't spend money on the stuff anymore so I'm sticking with what I've got for the long haul. Your Leben amp and Harbeth C7s, not to mention your room, will have such a disproportionate effect on the sound you achieve that a bit of speaker wire of decent thickness will not rock the boat to any discernable degree.

Go with the QED 79 strand and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Davef Guest

Default Not expensive ...

Thanks GregD - all three of them are not expensive, probably $100 different's between them all! I just thought that if it was better coated to protect the copper and maybe prevent it from deteriorating, and not because I think it would sound better! but I think you are probably correct, and so is Alan...

Thanks - DF

Davef Guest

Just to let you know, I went with Atlas Hyper 2 Speaker cables - prety inexpensive, about $200 for 3m terminated; I will let you know how they are...

Quote Originally Posted by Davef View Post
    Just to let you know, I went with Atlas Hyper 2 Speaker cables - prety inexpensive, about $200 for 3m terminated; I will let you know how they are...
    Sounds like a good solidly-made cable Davef, are they using spades or plugs? I prefer plugs - easier to remove if necessary.

PS. I've just bought a Leben pre/power. It's really nice stuff isn't it?

Davef Guest

Hi - it is using plugs, prefer them myself also! They are terrific, and I enjoy mine very much, I also enjoy my Naim XS, but the Leben are special, and very well made... The Pre/Power must sound fantastic?

DF

Default Taking delivery of the Leben CS660P poweramp tomorrow

Well, I used to have a CS300XS and it was indeed very listenable and enjoyable. Frank Sinatra and other vocalists and jazz groups from the 50s and 60s on Capitol sounded the best ever through that amplifier and my old ProAcs (now using LS3/5a)

The Leben poweramp is going to be even better I hope, I've ordered a new Leben RS28CX but they have to build it in Japan first! Very exciting, after that I'm probably going to get the P3ESR, or maybe the C7 (like you) if they will work in my very small room (3.4m by 2.8m).

However, the P3 has just been mentioned in the Newsletter winning the Stereo Sound Japan Grand Prix Award and I'm so impressed and pleased that I think it just has to be the P3ESR for me now. As I say, I've had LS3/5a and small ProAcs for years, so I know what to expect (generally) from a mini-monitor.

You must be getting great music with those amplifiers and the C7, Great choices all round!

I'm a QED79 strand user. Recently, have tried the Neotech silver and copper UPOFCC. it is a complete waste of time and $$$. but i found out that silver on +ve terminal copper on -ve terminal is different from silver on -ve terminal copper on +ve terminal.

Have a Leben CS300 but it is in the storeroom cos it is so hot a few minutes into music.although it sounds good but the hot knobs, the heat generated is terrible. wonder how long the component can tolerate / survive with the heat

I am using something similar to QED 79 strand (perhaps even cheaper than 79 strand) but my SHL-5 sounds excellent nonetheless. I have a couple of more 'exotic' cables but they all reside in the store room. The inexpensive cable is more than enough.

Default Speaker wires and the weakest link ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    I am using something similar to QED 79 strand (perhaps even cheaper than 79 strand) but my SHL-5 sounds excellent nonetheless. I have a couple of more 'exotic' cables but they all reside in the store room. The inexpensive cable is more than enough.
    I've taken apart a voice coil and this may interest you ....

Here
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

ookiedukes Guest

Default Special Speaker cables and wire questions.

Hi, I know this debate has and will go on forever. I find it odd that Harbeth indicates that you don't need any special exotic speaker wire, that sonically it makes no difference. Yet they offer the P3ESR SE with Special Oxygen Free wire.

Why is it Special in the speaker, but not Special out?
    I don't think you can hear the difference between a SE and a standard P3ESR, or can you?
    Is the standard speaker wire in my soon to arrive P3ESR inferior?

In my reading on this forum, I read somewhere that a old electric cord from a electric lawn mower was used at a demo as a speaker cable.

Im confused.

Default Most repeated Question

Quote Originally Posted by ookiedukes View Post
    Hi, I know this debate has and will go on forever. I find it odd that Harbeth indicates that you don't need any special exotic speaker wire, that sonically it makes no difference. Yet they offer the P3ESR SE with Special Oxygen Free wire.

Why is it Special in the speaker, but not Special out?
    I don't think you can hear the difference between a SE and a standard P3ESR, or can you?
    Is the standard speaker wire in my soon to arrive P3ESR inferior?

In my reading on this forum, I read somewhere that a old electric cord from a electric lawn mower was used at a demo as a speaker cable.

Im confused.
    If you search the forum you will find the answers. In short, cosmetic changes on the request of customers. ST

Default Harbeth's position on fancy cables (again, again, again)

To reiterate .....

Harbeth is a for-profit commercial business. If a distributor insists that for his market he must have fancy internal cable, particular veneers, strange labelling or any other aspect that we do not think will effect performance plus or minus, we will cost it. If he is willing to pay and there is negligible disruption to production we are pleased to offer the service to satisfy the user. It does not matter what we, Harbeth UK or indeed any of our distributors personally think about the merits of such a mod. All that matters is what the customer believes offers a benefit and is willing to pay for. We at Harbeth UK do not sit around dreaming up ideas. They come exclusively from our sales channels. We periodically review what is or is not do-able. If we can do it, we will.

If you want pink veneer we will cost it. If you want double-thick cartons that is also possible. But we will not change the drive units or crossover as these are the core of the speaker.

That is our position and has been for over twenty years. This was thrashed out last summer (as a result of which Moderation was turned on across the HUG) and there is absolutely nothing more to add. End of discussion.

ookiedukes Guest

Default Speaker wireups

Hi,
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I'm a soon to be Harbeth customer, and I didn't realize this was a sensitive subject.

{Moderators comment: no problem. You really do not need to worry about cables inside or outside your speakers.}

Default Good cables don't have to cost a fortune

I have had Atlas Ascent 2.0 and was very satisfied with these cables. I just wanted to try DNM Stereo Solid Core cables for fun because of the positive reviews and to put my curiosity at ease. DNM isnīt costly at all so an investment didnīt blow up the bank. Could they really be that good at "low-fi prices"? Well, well. I became so impressed with DNM performance that I sold my Atlas Cables and also bought DNM interconnects!!!!

Cables donīt have to cost a fortune to sound VERY good. DNM proves that in a very convincing way.

(My speakers are the SHL5)

Default Simple cable for great sound (QED79)?

QED 79 Strand Speaker Cable seems to be the recommended wire of choice for Harbeths. This cable doesn't seem to be available in North America. Does anyone have an idea of what an equivalent would be in North America?

Default Simple cable eqvt. to QED 79 strand?

Have a look at :http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10239#1023901
    12 gauge multistranded OFC. It looks from the picture, specification and price to be very similar to my 69 strand stuff.
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast