Thread: Real engineering is timeless .....

Default Real engineering is timeless .....

I often wonder when I read of gadgets and gizmos that are alleged to improve fidelity what real-world engineering actually backs up the pseudo-science. But can you blame the supplier for taking advantage of the gullible consumer daft enough to believe, for example, that a green felt pen run around the edge of a CD can improve its sound? Or that little bells placed around the room can completely beat the laws of physics and turn a reverberant room into a dry one.

I've long admired the Concorde aircraft as an example - next only to the lunar landing project - of real engineering in practice and where mistakes would have cost lives. Designed in the late 1950s through 60s during the golden years of recording and hifi and at the very same time the BBC was perfecting its monitor speaker concept (thin wall, plastic cones, complex crossovers etc.) it's hard to believe that those aircraft designers would go home to their families, their hi-fi and then worry themselves sick over this speaker cable or that interconnect. Look closely at them at work - do they look like the sort of people who would allow themselves to be misled?

Concorde was and is a miracle of collaboration between Britain and France. What is remarkable is that aside from the terrible (and avoidable) crash near Paris, Concorde transported consumers - not space-suited military jet pilots - every day thousands of miles for twenty seven years. And could be doing so today. What brought the Concorde project to an end was money, not forty year old technology. It's said that British Airways (the most market savvy operator of Concorde) accumulated more flying hours at supersonic speed than the entire world's military aircraft combined. That's a tremendous validation of the design, all the drawings of which were created in the pre-computer era with pen and ink as you'll see, and long before the computer simulator. And it all fitted together and worked exactly as intended.

Last week there was a tribute programme Concorde's Final Flight. I'd be interested to know if it's playable outside the UK.

Whatever we may think about environmentalism, elitism or whatever, the engineering of Concorde from over forty years ago is and was a truly remarkable human achievement. In that time, how far has hi-fi really developed?

Push your chair back and watch in full screen. Turn on subtitles with the little 'S' under the player window. There is a short advert introduction.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Virtual Private Networks ...

BBC iPlayer TV streams are only available to UK IP addresses. The same is true for the ITV streams.

It is possible, however, to access these streams outside UK using a Virtual Private Network. (VPN) I routinely watch the BBC in Cyprus.

I pay UKŁ5 to this agent

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/

iPlayer sees a UK IP address and runs. Clearly your internet connection will need to be fast enough.

There are other VPN agents, but I do know this one works. It is very easy to set up with a guide for each operating system showing what to click an what to enter on a screen by screen webpage display.

Default Vpn?

The Video is not available here in Canada. But I went to the site link that Labarum was kind enough to provide and I see that folks in New York can view these Videos when they sign up so I will look at this later and consider getting in touch and it may work here.

Hmmm, wonder if it may show up on Youtube in a few weeks,

Cheers,
    Noel.

Default Concorde

Twenty videos related to Concorde's last flight are on YouTube now.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...st+flight&aq=f

{Moderator's comment: this may not be the same programme as the one we linked to. The programme covered the history of Concorde, not just the last flight which was in fact incidental to the programme.}

Default Concorde, Malaysia

Not in Malaysia. But Discovery Channel premieres the show on 25 July so most likely we can watch it here.

ST

Default Link

The link opened for me in Boston. Maybe this is why my 45 year old HH Scott 222c (restored) is such a good match for Harbeth Compact 7ES.

Default Concorde's last flight on TV (Malaysia)

For those in Malaysia, you can watch it on 25 July 2010 9pm over Astro Discovery Channel 551.
    ST

Default Concorde

Yes, there is a program of the same name "Concorde's Last Flight" on the Discovery Channel in Canada July 25th at 5pm PST. Reading the write up though it does appear to be mainly about the events which occured in the Paris tragedy. It's odd though the title is the same as the one Alan alerted us to.

{Moderators comment: this *is* the programme Alan was referring to as I think he explained.}

Default 3D printing, and art

We were just considering buying a 3D printer for some very modest loudspeaker work, but look at this astonishing project. It's awe inspiring what a pragmatic, motivated individual can do when harnessing science in the name of art.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK