Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P3ESR at home

Default P3ESR at home

We welcome you to post pictures of your home set-up featuring the Harbeth P3ESRs here .....

Default My P3ESR Setup

Hi guys,

I would like to take the stage and share with you some pics of my stunning new P3ESR setup. Complementing these rather special versions of the P3ESR is a Sony STR-DB940 AV Control Centre, Samsung 32" HD TV and a Sony PS3 for Blu-ray/CD duties. A MacBook and Fujitsu Siemens AMILO laptop also provide the tunes through digital WAVs. Feast your eyes on this unique example of Harbeth's modern classic...

Pictures to follow .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave_shaw View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like to take the stage and share with you some pics of my stunning new P3ESR setup . . .
    I see no pics!

Default Pictures of P3ESR in my room

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I see no pics!
    My apologies, a slight technical glitch is causing me issues here! More pics of the full setup will be added later. Sorry to keep you waiting.

P.S. Pictures now attached.

these rather special versions of the P3ESR .
    Hi dave_shaw. Very nice. What finish is the speaker in? thanks.

Default P3ESR at home ...

Yes. Very nice. What are those stands and how tall are they?

Default P3ESR at home

@ kittykat: These P3ESR's are in a unique high-gloss silver. I am currently using them as home evaluation samples. What do you guys make of them...?

@ Labarum: I will confirm the brand later, but they are 0.8m tall I believe.

Default P3ESR HG finish

Wow, very cool finish. I thought the color was all washed out in your photo, or that the color on my monitor had gone crazy!

Default P3ESR with Sony av amp .....

How do you find the Sony AV Amp drives the P3s?

Do you use the PS3 to access internet radio as well as to play discs?

Have you ripped any discs to play via the PS3? I think that can be done.

Have you plans for sub-woofer?

Default High Gloss finish

[QUOTE=dave_shaw;10848What do you guys make of them...?
    QUOTE]

Very unique, looking almost metallic.

Personally, feel it will fit a themed living area eg. modern or hi tech very well. Fashions do change and appears to me that silver fascias are strong and these speakers will go well with them. Personally I like the wood ones due to the craftsmanship flavour emanating but that’s just my personal opinion. But if I were to start a new listening space, I’d consider these ones together with say the silver mini Denon M38’s (or M37’s if still avail). They’ll look good and i'm sure sound fantastic.

Default High Gloss

[QUOTE=kittykat;10862]
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_shaw;10848What do you guys make of them...? [/QUOTE

Very unique, looking almost metallic.
    Is this finish a special order from Harbeth, or have they been repainted?

I quite like them, but would not chose them for any room as currently furnished.

A finish like this would make Harbeth cosmetically attractive to folk who would consider small monitors from the likes of Genelec.

I would consider small acitive monitors from the likes of Genelec and others, but few of them have grills, and none of them look good in a traditional lounge. I do wish the small Harbeths were available in active versions - saves domestic clutter and has some technical advantages.

Default HG cabinets for a new demographic?

The pair I have are the only ones in existence, direct from Harbeth UK. They are genuine Harbeth P3ESRs – albeit a one-off sample pair in unique high-gloss silver. They have been specially developed for trial in a more contemporary, younger demographic living environment, where they could, for example, share space with more avant-garde surroundings.

I am understood to believe that the exclusive example I am in possession of (with this particular test high-glossy silver finish), is not the preferred final production finish if the factory proceed with the concept. As far as I know, a less ‘sparkly’, slightly darker tinted silver option is preferred for production units. This silver finish option could potentially be offered as “Unobtanium”, “Planetanium”, “Startanium”, "Gem Stone", “Star Dust” or “Moon Dust”. Again, this is based on preliminary thoughts and ideas and should be treated as such.

I am very happy indeed with these special P3ESRs. They look great in the modern surroundings of my new (and first) apartment and certainly sound fantastic and match the kit I currently own, which is no doubt typical of my demographic. I think Harbeth could be on to a real winner here...

@ Labarum: The Sony amp is perfect for my requirements. It is the hub for all my AV kit and works reliably. I am not an audiophile but believe that the speaker are the most important component. I have not tried accessing internet radio with the PlayStation 3, but this is something I could certainly try. And the main use of the PS3 is Blu-rays playback (which through HDMI look great on the Samsung and sound fantastic on the P3ESRs – especially with the added bass over the previous generation P3s providing a real ‘oomph’ on Hollywood blockbusters!). Sadly my setup is limited to 2.0 at this stage due to a sub and centre or additional channels not being very apartment i.e. neighbour friendly!

I will keep you all updated with my progress with these special Harbeth gems...

Default P3ESR - finish meeting young tastes?

I am not an audiophile but believe that the speaker are the most important component.
    I agree: the speakers make the biggest difference, and this is more true than ever. A digital sourse is a digital source, and a DACs don't vary that much. As with amplifiers, once a certain level of engineering competance has been acheived, the rest is snobbery and kiddum.

I was surprised how well my son's PlayStation3 sounded through my Beresford Caiman DAC - the analogue output of the SB3 is an uninspring "consumer grade", but take the optical out to a decent DAC and, as with cable or sat TV boxes, all is transformed.

I really would not rush to a centre channel. Good imaging speakers in a two channel stereo system should leave you in no doubt where "centre" is. On the other hand a sub can make quite a difference for cinema effects.

I have moved my main system to a retirement house in Cyprus where I have some space for large floorstanders. In a small UK flat I have a pair of old shoebox speakers with a fairly decent KEF sub. The shoeboxes are poor for decent music, but great for telly and DVDs with the sub.

P3ESRs are on my wish list - my Quad stereo amp will drive them nicely.

Do we know if these painted speakers will cost less than the veneered ones, and if piano black and white laquer is to be available?

It is great that Harbeth are trying to meet the tastes of the young who like the techie look - next step to make it possible to plug the Harbeths into the USB of their laptops?

honmanm Guest

Default Asymmetric setup in my listening room

Finally, an arrangement of the system in our new living room that works reasonably well. The house is newly built and the room has plasterboard walls and ceiling, and a laminate floor - surfaces that are simultaneously reflective and resonant.

The room has a bay window at one end, and the door is 1/3 of the way along a side wall. It's a living room, so must be suitable for entertaining TV watching, etc.

The picture is taken from behind the listening seat, which is 2/3 of the way along the window wall, just inside the bay window area. A high-backed sofa is to the left (hopefully absorbing some side-wall reflections), TV in the other bay window corner, and the door to the right. A coat rack is cunningly fitted to the back of the door.

Although having a window facing the speakers or behind them is generally not recommended, in this case it seems to help because with the bay window the front wall consists of 5 segments - sending reflections in different directions.

The back of the LH speaker is almost parallel to the wall behind the speakers, but this does not seem to be a problem, most likely because (a) there is a bookshelf behind the speaker and (b) the parallel wall near the listening position is only 0.5m wide.

The RH speaker is angled inward by about 30 deg - which means that side-wall reflection on that side of the room are relatively weak.

While this layout has its quirks, it does provide a wide and deep soundstage and generally uncluttered sound.

Default Stands

Hi Dave, I too would like information on the speaker stands you're using.

Thanks.

Geoff.

Default P3ESRs

I love my P3's!

Default I love my P3s!

Wau nice CD collection and beautiful P3ESR
    Quote Originally Posted by Art K View Post

I love my P3's!

Default P3esr

The P3ESR certainly looks great on either cherry or rosewood. Oh & black ash too.

Default Less sparkle?

I am understood to believe that the exclusive example I am in possession of (with this particular test high-glossy silver finish), is not the preferred final production finish if the factory proceed with the concept. As far as I know, a less ‘sparkly’, slightly darker tinted silver option is preferred for production units. This silver finish option could potentially be offered as “Unobtanium”, “Planetanium”, “Startanium”, "Gem Stone", “Star Dust” or “Moon Dust”. Again, this is based on preliminary thoughts and ideas and should be treated as such.
    These are very nice, but the proposed production version (slightly darker and less sparkly) sounds perfect. If Harbeth comes out with these, I may have to buy another pair!

Nice setup and you are a serious classical musics lover...I am very sure..
    "Bath in Music"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast