Announcement

Collapse

INTRODUCTION - PLEASE READ FIRST TO UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM!

"This Harbeth User Group (HUG) is the Manufacturer's own managed forum dedicated to natural sound from microphone to ear, achievable by recognising and controlling the numerous confounding variables that exist along the audio chain. The Harbeth designer's objective is to make loudspeakers that contribute little of themselves to the music passing through them.

Identifying system components for their sonic neutrality should logically proceed from the interpretation and analysis of their technical, objective performance. Deviations from a flat frequency response at any point along the signal chain from microphone to ear is likely to give an audible sonic personality to the system at your ear; this includes the significant contribution of the listening room itself. To accurately reproduce the recorded sound as Harbeth speakers are designed to do, you would be best advised to select system components (sources, electronics, cables and so on) that do not color the sound before it reaches the speakers.

For example, the design of and interaction between the hifi amplifier and its speaker load can and will alter the sound balance of what you hear. This may or may not be what you wish to achieve, but any deviation from a flat response is a step away from a truly neutral system. HUG has extensively discussed amplifiers and the methods for seeking the most objectively neutral among a plethora of product choices.

HUG specialises in making complex technical matters simple to understand, getting at the repeatable facts in a post-truth environment where objectivity is increasingly ridiculed. With our heritage of natural sound and pragmatic design, HUG is not the best place to discuss non-Harbeth audio components selected, knowingly or not, to introduce a significantly personalised system sound. For that you should do your own research and above all, make the effort to visit an Authorised Dealer and listen to your music at your loudness on your loudspeakers through the various offerings there. There is really no on-line substitute for time invested in a dealer's showroom because 'tuning' your system to taste is such a highly personal matter. Our overall objective here is to empower readers to make the factually best procurement decisions in the interests of lifelike music at home.

Please consider carefully how much you should rely upon and be influenced by the subjective opinions of strangers. Their hearing acuity and taste will be different to yours, as will be their motives and budget, their listening distance, loudness and room treatment, not necessarily leading to appropriate equipment selection and listening satisfaction for you. Always keep in mind that without basic test equipment, subjective opinions will reign unchallenged. With test equipment, universal facts and truths are exposed.

If some of the science behind faithfully reproducing the sound intended by the composer, score, conductor and musicians over Harbeth speakers is your thing, this forum has been helping with that since 2006. If you just want to share your opinions and photos with others then the unrelated Harbeth Speakers Facebook page http://bit.ly/2FEgoAy may be for you. Either way, welcome to the world of Harbeth!"


Feb. 2018
See more
See less

New technics 1200 KM 7 and Technics 1500C Turntables (for les money than the 1200GR ??)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New technics 1200 KM 7 and Technics 1500C Turntables (for les money than the 1200GR ??)

    Hello,
    I am having different problems with my turntable, right now they are repairing it.
    I like the technics turntable concept but spending 1500 euros in a turntable seems a lot for the use i do. (Price of the 1200GR)
    I know about other options like the AT LP5, but yesterday Technics announced two new models probably cheaper than the 1200GR, the 1200 MK 7 and the 1500C, specs seems good, better than an old technics 1200. I suppose old 1200 will go down in price also second hand, cause right now they have high price, but with a new model in the market things could change.

    1500C https://www.technics.com/us/news/20190107-sl-1500c/

    Includes phono and cartdige.

    1200 MK7 https://www.technics.com/us/news/20190107-sl-1200mk7/

    We still don't know the prices.

  • #2
    Price for the SL-1200MK7 is reportedly 899 / 1000 / $1200.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tentative pricing for the SL-1500C with a high-quality Ortofon Red moving magnet phono cartridge is US$1399 (see AnalogPlanet, 9 Jan 2019). The SL-1500C also has auto-lift at the end of the LP, a feature that most turntables seem to lack these days. It appears that Technics is aiming to provide a high-performance turntable at a very affordable price.

      The SL-1200MK7 is tentatively priced at US$1199.

      Comment


      • #4
        The Technics SL-1500C has a mass of approximately 9.9 kg.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's interesting that the specifications for these two turntables make no mention of their signal-to-noise (S/N) ratios. The Technics brochures of old always stated this particular parameter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kerouack View Post
            Hello,
            I am having different problems with my turntable, right now they are repairing it.
            I like the technics turntable concept but spending 1500 euros in a turntable seems a lot for the use i do. (Price of the 1200GR)
            I know about other options like the AT LP5, ...
            If the AT-LP5 doesn't appeal to you, another option is the Dual CS 505-4 (~ 750) : https://www.dual-plattenspieler.eu/p...-cs-505-4.html
            Another possibility is the Pro-Ject The Classic: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/the-classic/
            If you also need a phono preamp, an inexpensive choice is the Cambridge Alva Solo: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/e...no-preamp/solo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by IMF+TDL View Post
              If the AT-LP5 doesn't appeal to you, another option is the Dual CS 505-4 (~ 750) : https://www.dual-plattenspieler.eu/p...-cs-505-4.html
              Another possibility is the Pro-Ject The Classic: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/the-classic/
              If you also need a phono preamp, an inexpensive choice is the Cambridge Alva Solo: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/e...no-preamp/solo
              Those two turntables look like nice designs. And the Dual CS 505-4 has auto lift. But its rumble specifications are a little bit confusing, as they are listed twice, first at 52 dB, and the second at 75 dB. I wonder which one is correct? Or do they just refer to two different measurement standards? The Pro-Ject The Classic's signal-to-noise ratio is quoted as being 70 dB.

              The Cambridge Alva Solo seems like another nicely made piece of gear. And it even uses a mains cable for power, rather than one of those wall-mount power adapters. The accuracy of its RIAA equalisation curve also seems quite reasonable at its price point: +/-0.65dB 30Hz-20kHz. In comparison, the Denon PRA-1500 and Harman/Kardon hk725 preamplifiers (from the 1980s) both have a specification of +/-0.2dB 20Hz-20kHz, which is considerably better. Note the lower low-frequency limit of 20 Hz, versus 30 Hz for the Alva Solo.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by witwald View Post
                Those two turntables look like nice designs. And the Dual CS 505-4 has auto lift. But its rumble specifications are a little bit confusing, as they are listed twice, first at 52 dB, and the second at 75 dB. I wonder which one is correct? Or do they just refer to two different measurement standards? The Pro-Ject The Classic's signal-to-noise ratio is quoted as being 70 dB.
                Dual (as well as Thorens) have traditionally quoted both weighted and unweighted specifications for rumble, per the relevant DIN standard.

                Originally posted by witwald View Post
                The Cambridge Alva Solo seems like another nicely made piece of gear. And it even uses a mains cable for power, rather than one of those wall-mount power adapters. The accuracy of its RIAA equalisation curve also seems quite reasonable at its price point: +/-0.65dB 30Hz-20kHz. In comparison, the Denon PRA-1500 and Harman/Kardon hk725 preamplifiers (from the 1980s) both have a specification of +/-0.2dB 20Hz-20kHz, which is considerably better. Note the lower low-frequency limit of 20 Hz, versus 30 Hz for the Alva Solo.
                The wider tolerance in the specification for RIAA equalization accuracy for the Cambridge unit is mainly a result of its having a non-defeatable subsonic filter, which starts to roll off slightly above 20Hz (-3dB @ 15Hz, -12dB/Octave slope)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do you think any of these new Technics turntables would perform better than my old Luxman PD 282 equipped with Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge? Luxman has served me well over the years but the sound is obviously nowhere near standard CD quality.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Milosz View Post
                    Do you think any of these new Technics turntables would perform better than my old Luxman PD 282 equipped with Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge? Luxman has served me well over the years but the sound is obviously nowhere near standard CD quality.
                    If your Luxman turntable is still functioning properly, I'd doubt that the new Technics models would offer a significant improvement.
                    However, your turntable is ~40 years old so checking the condition of the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, control and motor circuits might be advisable.

                    OTOH, fitting a new cartridge with a more advanced stylus shape - such as a microline type - could be a worthwhile upgrade.
                    Two relatively inexpensive options from Audio-Technica are the AT-VM95ML and the VM540ML:
                    https://eu.audio-technica.com/cartri...gnet/AT-VM95ML
                    https://eu.audio-technica.com/cartri...magnet/VM540ML

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am thinking about buying the SL1200GR + AT VM750SH, price of the pack 1380 euros. I can not buy it with a Nagaoka, the pack is with that AT.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kerouack View Post
                        I like the technics turntable concept but spending 1500 euros in a turntable seems a lot for the use i do. (Price of the 1200GR)
                        How many records do you own?
                        How often do you play them?
                        If 1500 "seems a lot", then what do you consider to be a more reasonable amount to pay for a turntable and cartridge?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X