• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

The next generation at Harbeth? A musical education.

A.S.

Harbeth UK
Staff member
Recorded today at the Grand Hotel, Brighton, my six month old granddaughter's first encounter ever with a live musical instrument. If her feet are an indicator of her pleasure, who knows what this could lead to! It's never too early to introduce music into young lives.

As hifi_dave correctly indicated on her birth, having grandchildren completely changes your outlook. Things that were previously vitally important are seen in a new light; giving the next generation the best chance in life becomes of supreme importance. If one allows oneself a moment of reflection though, that fact that one will only be around to see a fraction of their hopefully long lives is saddening indeed. Make the most of every day, and leaving some sort of positive feeling about ones brief existence here is the best that any of us can do.

Kumar Kane

Precious time

Precious time

As a four month old first time grandfather I agree. My granddaughter was born six weeks early, in January, and is now a thriving subject of countless photographs. She loves the pool, maybe she will be swimming before she walks!

As to making the most of each day, I would say that this applies to one's children too, who is to say even there what the future holds for each of us?

Pluto

From the mouths of babes ....

From the mouths of babes ....

You must be registered for see images

Prith

The next step ... learning music

The next step ... learning music

Alan, she is such a doll! I too make it a point to make my two daughters aged 12 & 6 sit with me for sometime and listen to music on the Harbeths! Still remember me sitting on my Dad's lap listening to LPs & Tapes which he sourced travelling all over the world as he was a ship Captain! Music always comes first.

Next step is to make them learn a musical instrument of their choice.

A.S.

Harbeth UK
Staff member
The first critical steps in musical appreciation

The first critical steps in musical appreciation

Alan, she is such a doll! I too make it a point to make my two daughters aged 12 & 6 sit with me for sometime and listen to music on the Harbeths! Still remember me sitting on my Dad's lap listening to LPs & Tapes which he sourced travelling all over the world as he was a ship Captain! Music always comes first. Next step is to make them learn a musical instrument of their choice.
Welcome your family to the extended Harbeth family!

Musical education surely underpins an appreciation of all culture. In this regard, it's interesting to note how in the orient, time is given over in the school curriculum to musical education. I am well aware of the competing time-pressures here in the west between numerous subjects, all seen as vital, but one does wonder how much allocated time is really productive, and if amongst the waste, just an hour or two could be found every week or so for music at school.

As I was working yesterday I had BBC Radio 3 playing in the background, a marvellous concert of Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto with its multifaceted twists and turns of shade. It led me to thinking that if a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity arose to introduce a youngster (or even not so young) listener to the world of quality music in a concert hall, what one, single, magnificent piece would I chose? Select just the right piece and capture the listener's attention and you have started a lifetime's curiosity. Select the wrong piece, and that opportunity may be forever lost.

I wonder what you'd chose? Here is what piqued my thoughts yesterday, imagining I was sitting next to and observing my granddaughter as she was overwhelmed by the experience (hopefully!).

Scroll forward to 50 minutes in .... here.

As for seafarers, my favourite author (and ship Master) is Joseph Conrad. He used his travels as the backbone to many a tale. Have you read Victory?